Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I am thinking about purchasing one of the Digital Rebel cameras. Anybody have any suggestions or advice? T1? T2?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, if that's the two you're looking at, go for the T2i! There are a few improvements over the T1i.
I guess I was wondering how big of a difference there is in the bodies? I only saw a couple things that were different. I plan to make a trip to my local camera shop here soon. I am sure they can give me the run down on all of the Canon features.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
882 Posts
I say go for the T2i for sure. It is the newer in class of the two. The T2i is basically the little brother to the 7D. Dang near the same sensor inside which is a huge improvement over the T1i. Some say it is the same sensor as the 7D, but technically it is a tad different. Anyhow, you get the benefit of higher ISO capabilities. Not just talking numbers either, real world that is.. compared to the T1i. Plus, the tracking capabilities are much greater in the T2i as well. I don't remember off the top of my head what else is better, maybe a bigger screen on back with better resolution, which is always nice.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I say go for the T2i for sure. It is the newer in class of the two. The T2i is basically the little brother to the 7D. Dang near the same sensor inside which is a huge improvement over the T1i. Some say it is the same sensor as the 7D, but technically it is a tad different. Anyhow, you get the benefit of higher ISO capabilities. Not just talking numbers either, real world that is.. compared to the T1i. Plus, the tracking capabilities are much greater in the T2i as well. I don't remember off the top of my head what else is better, maybe a bigger screen on back with better resolution, which is always nice.
Kevin,
Thanks for the information. Can you explain the "ISO capabilities" to me? Cliff note version.
Thanks,
mike

·
Registered
882 Posts
That is a very good point, you will want to upgrade to a 7D soon enough! I have been there too. While you are at it, don't buy the kit lens of any sort.. Put some money into a good quality lens. Just another thing you wish you hadn't thrown money away on down the road. ISO essentially is the camera sensor's sensitivity to light. Bumping the ISO up will inevitably add more noise to your image, but the better the camera typically means the less noise at higher ISO. I hope that makes sense to ya!

I am going to assume you are fairly new to digital camera's or even photography in general. Here is a website that I recommend to everyone interested in getting more than just a point and shoot. It is very palatable for beginners. http://stopshootingauto.com/exposure-lessons-in-order/

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a very good point, you will want to upgrade to a 7D soon enough! I have been there too. While you are at it, don't buy the kit lens of any sort.. Put some money into a good quality lens. Just another thing you wish you hadn't thrown money away on down the road. ISO essentially is the camera sensor's sensitivity to light. Bumping the ISO up will inevitably add more noise to your image, but the better the camera typically means the less noise at higher ISO. I hope that makes sense to ya!

I am going to assume you are fairly new to digital camera's or even photography in general. Here is a website that I recommend to everyone interested in getting more than just a point and shoot. It is very palatable for beginners. http://stopshootingauto.com/exposure-lessons-in-order/
Kevin,
Thanks for the information on ISO and the enclosed link. What "good quality" lenses are you referring too? Yes you are correct, I am new in the detailed world of photography. :)
Mike

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heck even a 60D would work, under $1000 for the body.

I have a 40D and 50D
Ok Lonnie, I will check them out...... What about lenses? What do you recommend? I shoot wildlife, ball sports, racing, etc.... This is all for personal use, so I am shooting from the stands (I.E.--need a good zoom).
Mike

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Lonnie,
How does the 60D compare to the 7D? I guess the 60D kits are no recommended either? BTW I am not being lazy on the comparison, I am just referencing my resident experts....
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah, 60D would be good too! I guess the one huge factor between it and the 7D is that the 7D shoots up to 8fps, where as the 60D is half that IIRC, and the body is built closer to a pro grade as well as weather sealing.

If you are doing a lot of sports, racing, etc and those include fast action. The more frames per second are not a necessity per se' but it does help get that perfect moment when shooting bursts. All of the said camera's are crop sensors, so that will help get you a little extra reach. I would recommend a 70-200mm lens. There are several versions. F/4 and F/2.8, each with and without image stabilisation (IS). Obviously, the faster the lens the more expensive. As well, the versions with IS are also more expensive. The f/4 will do you just fine as long as it is daytime. Once it hits dusk, unless there is really good light on the track or field, it is basically useless without a good external flash.

One good place to find used lenses is on the fredmiranda.com forums. I picked up my 70-200 f/2.8 IS for a steal, about as much as you would pay for a new non-IS f/4. If you end up feeling that you need more reach say with sports, you can pick up a 1.4x tele-converter to add between the lens and body, yet it will drop your maximum aperture a full stop. So say if you add the 1.4x TC onto an f/2.8 lens.. your maximum aperture drops to f/4 and possibly lose a little bit of image quality.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, 60D would be good too! I guess the one huge factor between it and the 7D is that the 7D shoots up to 8fps, where as the 60D is half that IIRC, and the body is built closer to a pro grade as well as weather sealing.

If you are doing a lot of sports, racing, etc and those include fast action. The more frames per second are not a necessity per se' but it does help get that perfect moment when shooting bursts. All of the said camera's are crop sensors, so that will help get you a little extra reach. I would recommend a 70-200mm lens. There are several versions. F/4 and F/2.8, each with and without image stabilisation (IS). Obviously, the faster the lens the more expensive. As well, the versions with IS are also more expensive. The f/4 will do you just fine as long as it is daytime. Once it hits dusk, unless there is really good light on the track or field, it is basically useless without a good external flash.

One good place to find used lenses is on the fredmiranda.com forums. I picked up my 70-200 f/2.8 IS for a steal, about as much as you would pay for a new non-IS f/4. If you end up feeling that you need more reach say with sports, you can pick up a 1.4x tele-converter to add between the lens and body, yet it will drop your maximum aperture a full stop. So say if you add the 1.4x TC onto an f/2.8 lens.. your maximum aperture drops to f/4 and possibly lose a little bit of image quality.
Kev,
Thank You so much for the information!! I really appreciate it. After reading all of that, I think I need to do a little homework so I can follow you guys a little better.
Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts