Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone with any experiences
i have read some good stuff and some issues about cracking (older castings )

flat top 406 , pump gas , solid flat tappet , .600 lift
little nitrous
they seem like a descent head for the $$$

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
I have heard the newer castings are better, but if I were buying 23˚ heads it would be Dart for non-CNC heads or AFR's for CNC heads. Darts work very well with little cleanup.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was considering a pro1 215 platinum as well
they are replacing sportsman II heads , so hopefully either of them will make a difference , the canfields look like they come with better parts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got the canfields on similar motor ,you wont go wrong. You know CFE uses canfield castings for their CNC heads

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Go with the Canfield 215's. They don't need any offset stuff and flow just about as well. Competition Products has the best prices on them I have seen.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
the afr heads have a real thick deck which will help with the nitrous,they are a really nice head and have pac springs on them from the factory

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go with the Canfield 215's. They don't need any offset stuff and flow just about as well. Competition Products has the best prices on them I have seen.
i have to get rockers anyway , so that isn't an issue
i have a very good price on 220's

·
Registered
269 Posts
kab I have used many Set's of them and they make good power with a little work. For the money there a good head . but the casting is lite and weak in spots . I had to repair 2 this month with broken rocker arm stud pad's. damm round d round guy's they tear up everything .

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my engine is fairly mild compared to most , its a pump gas street car
with the sportsman II heads i was shifting around 6400 ,weighs 3600 with the steel heads
any idea about how much power i may pick up
i'd like to see .3 improvement in et

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went form the ProTopline 200cc heads on my small block 365 to AFR 210 race ready heads on my new 385. I used the same cam, intake, carb, and the compression also remained the same and I picked up 7 tenths and 6 mph in the 1/8 mile. I give all the credit to the AFR heads.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
my engine is fairly mild compared to most , its a pump gas street car
with the sportsman II heads i was shifting around 6400 ,weighs 3600 with the steel heads
any idea about how much power i may pick up
i'd like to see .3 improvement in et

What does it run now?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
11.70's @114 has dipped into the .60's once . 7.40's in the 1/8
i would like to see .20's-.30's in the 1/4
i'll probably switch the intake also , right now it has a teamG on it

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
If you want a big gain, have the Sportsman II heads freshened with new springs for a roller cam and switch to a roller. I ran 8.70's with a 406 and those heads in my old slipjoint dragster. How much converter/stall do you have?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the sportsman heads are gone already , a roller is not out of the question , but that would be towards the end of the year
the converter was just something laying around that was thrown in to get the car going
its a 10" cheap pos , flashes 4000-4200 , footbrakes to about 3000 maybe a hair less , i leave off idle , shift at 6400 and go through the traps at around 6200 with a 3.73 gear and 27" radials (255/60)
i have been told the converter is slipping a lot , so i am assuming it is hurting my et aswell , that is next on the list , after i get the engine back together

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i got the 220 canfields , they are exactly half the weight of the iron heads 27 pounds vs. 54 pounds
i am probably going to try a super victor intake , i know its probably not the best one for this car , but it will be more in line of what i want to do over the winter
any thoughts on if it will make more power than the sportsman heads

still have to buy rockers, wish i had the extra money for shafts but that will have to wait

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bolt em on and let us know. I too am letting go of the Sportman 2s. I went 11.43 @118 with them on a 383 in a Fox. My buddy is putting on a set of Brodix IK 200s for me. Im a little nervous about his choice in head, but he got a screamin deal on them.

·
Registered
783 Posts
i got the 220 canfields , they are exactly half the weight of the iron heads 27 pounds vs. 54 pounds
i am probably going to try a super victor intake , i know its probably not the best one for this car , but it will be more in line of what i want to do over the winter
any thoughts on if it will make more power than the sportsman heads

still have to buy rockers, wish i had the extra money for shafts but that will have to wait
yor gonna be glad you didn't get the 215's

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
If you don't have the money for shaft rockers and need offset intakes we have stud mount rocker sets with 4 left and 4 right offset intakes available in .050", .150" and .250" offset.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts