Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, we have tons of important freedoms in the United States, but Canada is about to have the most important freedom of all: the right to choose which cable channels you subscribe to. The Canadian government will soon require cable and satellite companies to allow customers to pay for individual channels, rather than forcing a bundle on them.
Don't know if I'd call it the "most important freedom of all", but for those still on cable or satellite, it'll probably be a good thing. Can't really understand why people are still on cable or satellite, but whatever makes you happy, I guess.

http://now.msn.com/cable-and-satellite-channels-available-a-la-carte-in-canada

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Sounds like a good thing, had to pay an extra $30 a month to get the get the bundle with Speed channel as the only one i wanted.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Finally, I don't need the fucking indian channel or billy bobs auction channel etc etc.

Pick and choose, its the only way.

Dave...

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is for that reason I got rid of cable and went to streaming, downloading, and OTA.
If I can pick and choose, it might just lure me back to cable.
That's exactly what I did. Now I'm finding it really aggravating to watch regular TV. The commercials just about drive me nuts.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There should be a way to get the channels we want without having to spend 100 bucks a month on different bundles. The money grubbing fuckers are going to price themselves out of the market.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All I want is espn 1 and 2,oh yeah yeah CBC hockey night in Canada also.Fuck my cable co,I have a channel called the fireplace channel,I also have the sunset and aquarium channel WTF.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,464 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Sure we'll get the channels we want but I'm sure it will cost a premium which will be equal to or greater than current rates. Just like insurance companies they won't be losing any money...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping Verizon would hit Canada ,and the rest of the cable companies would "smarten up"..They lobbied like hell,and kill that plan..

So,we went to satellite..still not great,but better than Mr Rogers crap.

Rick

Sure we'll get the channels we want but I'm sure it will cost a premium which will be equal to or greater than current rates. Just like insurance companies they won't be losing any money...

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is more to the story than a misleading paragraph on MSN.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bundle-busting-is-%C3%A0-la-carte-cable-tv-better-for-consumers-1.2054603

The cable companies will lobby the gov't (CRTC) and shut the idea down before it ever takes ground.
Everyone just assumes it would be cheaper.
From reading the article you linked to, it appears that the only ones against a la cart are the major networks, which basically own all the channels anyway. Sounds like the typical whining and crying by an industry that fears losing its monopoly. The implied threat seems to be, if you force us to unbundle, you'll lose all those wonderful channels no one watches, but are required to pay for. :rolleyes:

I had OTA for over 25 years, until last year. After one (1) year of cable, I went back to OTA. Why? Mainly because there is nothing on, no matter how many channels you get, and the Internet provides me with what I want, when I want. This, not unbundleing, will lead to the demise of TV as it appears today.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
From reading the article you linked to, it appears that the only ones against a la cart are the major networks, which basically own all the channels anyway. Sounds like the typical whining and crying by an industry that fears losing its monopoly. The implied threat seems to be, if you force us to unbundle, you'll lose all those wonderful channels no one watches, but are required to pay for. :rolleyes:

I had OTA for over 25 years, until last year. After one (1) year of cable, I went back to OTA. Why? Mainly because there is nothing on, no matter how many channels you get, and the Internet provides me with what I want, when I want. This, not unbundleing, will lead to the demise of TV as it appears today.
And without those bundles, how will the Oprah network and the lifetime lesbian movie network stay in business? and what about the poor god awful halmark network. Where will failing actors go to perform shitty scripts that couldn't even go straight to dvd?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Call your congressman and tell them to get rid of the 1992 cable TV bill that they stuck up our asses. That is what allowed cable and satellite to bundle shit together. The cable and satellite providers no longer have the excuse it can't be sold ala carte with digital technology. Watch how many channels go away when you aren't forced to buy shit in a package you don't want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts