Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
It would take a pretty radical 414 to do it but it's possible with the right $$$ and alot of know how

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Found my old slip ...

1.30 60'
5.67 @ 125
8.84 @ 155

My 396 with a 24 jet in the fogger @ 3250lbs.
We had it softened way up in the 60' to make sure it got down the track.

If we wre pushing it hard in the 60' and had a little more jet 8.5's would be doable for sure.

Same day it went ....
1.51 60'
6.44 @ 110.9
9.97 @ 140.8
On motor !

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That is very interesting! I'm building a 70 Maverick with 6.0l (stockish bottom end with L92's and a carb) and was planing spraying 200 at it. I will be running a 400 with a pro brake. So if i'm around 700 fly wheel horse which should be easy, I was thinking I'd be lucky to get in the 9.5 range. And I do not figure I'll weigh in more than 2800...Good info guys! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Yes to the first. Probably to the second. 3200... Is that race weight or car weight?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Yes to the first. Probably to the second. 3200... Is that race weight or car weight?
Adding to this... I have a 415" in a 2920 lb "race weight" car and N/A it goes 9.80 @ 140 on a conservative tune. Running a Glide, tight converter, 3.70 gear, carb, GM 4150 intake and a small-ish cam. So with a 250 shoot, even in a 3200 lbs race weight car, I don't see you needing 1000 "RWHP" to run 8.50... JMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adding to this... I have a 415" in a 2920 lb "race weight" car and N/A it goes 9.80 @ 140 on a conservative tune. Running a Glide, tight converter, 3.70 gear, carb, GM 4150 intake and a small-ish cam. So with a 250 shoot, even in a 3200 lbs race weight car, I don't see you needing 1000 "RWHP" to run 8.50... JMHO.
I was saying a 1000rwhp because in my 275 REAL STREET class there is no progressive allowed and no Hoosiers tires, So to run 5.40s to the 1/8 i think i need a little more then 850 or 900 to the wheels, to try to keep up with the 76mm turbos! SO far know one has done it that i know of with less then 420ci and a 250 shot @3200. I know with a unlimited budget you can do it, But was seeing how many HAVE done it!!!!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I was saying a 1000rwhp because in my 275 REAL STREET class there is no progressive allowed and no Hoosiers tires, So to run 5.40s to the 1/8 i think i need a little more then 850 or 900 to the wheels, to try to keep up with the 76mm turbos! SO far know one has done it that i know of with less then 420ci and a 250 shot @3200. I know with a unlimited budget you can do it, But was seeing how many HAVE done it!!!!
Gotcha... Is there a weight break for the size of the engine? >Meaning why 415" And ATVracer pretty much said it all, it's not gonna be easy or cheap, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

If there is no weight break, go more CID to achieve your goal. If there is a weight break, go big bore and take out some stroke. And get the best heads you can afford.

As I said above in my earlier post, you can make the number with the right combination. The cam I'm running in my little 415 is pretty small (I wanted it that way) and I'm still making pretty good power. (650 apx fwhp) If I put a bigger cam in it and changed some things around, 700+ would not be a problem. I have a great set of heads so there's room to grow on my app. You could do the same with one of Cary's/Mast Motorsports intake manifolds, and a set of their 4.0 LS7 heads. Cheap? No. Worth the number and achieving your goals? U-betcha!

PS: I'm taking my little 415 out this weekend for some bottle passes and I'll let you know how it does. If I can get it to hook, I think I'll be in the 8's with a 175 shot... But that's yet to be proven.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Dang it! I knew I was forgetting something when I agreed to work overtime Friday night. I wanted to come out and watch your passes and check out the new surface at Firebird. Oh well. Good luck Clay.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gotcha... Is there a weight break for the size of the engine? >Meaning why 415" And ATVracer pretty much said it all, it's not gonna be easy or cheap, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

If there is no weight break, go more CID to achieve your goal. If there is a weight break, go big bore and take out some stroke. And get the best heads you can afford.

As I said above in my earlier post, you can make the number with the right combination. 427 ci limit 82 jet for a plate 26 jet for a DP can only use either or @3150lbs ADD 50lbs for aftermarket non 15* heads. I know it's not easy, I just wanted to know some thoughts and see how many have done it , So far the few that has, Used the best of the best in parts and was a max effort build. Just to see if i can keep up with the 76mm turbo boys that are making 1000rwhp and running 5.50s.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

As I said above in my earlier post, you can make the number with the right combination. 427 ci limit 82 jet for a plate 26 jet for a DP can only use either or @3150lbs ADD 50lbs for aftermarket non 15* heads. I know it's not easy, I just wanted to know some thoughts and see how many have done it , So far the few that has, Used the best of the best in parts and was a max effort build. Just to see if i can keep up with the 76mm turbo boys that are making 1000rwhp and running 5.50s.

I don't know if any turbo cars are making 1k hp but I'm damn sure gonna try.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I hope so. I have similar personal goals ....8.50 with a 415 and 1 kit. And i hope its cheap! I know it wont be easy...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts