Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I'm working on my friends 97 Camaro. We changed the optispark yesterday, and it still runs like shit. When the engine turns over it acts like it's out of time.....but I was always under the impression that an optispark will only go on one way. It slid on easily and mounted flush. One thing is the motor had alot of unburned fuel in it from where the other opti went bad....so we took the plugs out and killed all fuel and ignition power and spun the motor over to get the fuel out of the cylinders. You could smell it the first few times I spun it.....we haven't put the plugs back in and tried it yet. Also, the ICM was reading bad on a tester so we replaced that as well. I guess what I want to know is could the opti be installed wrong? Was the motor just maybe flooded? I know I could take the front back apart and take the cap off the opti and check to make sure the rotor is pointing in coordinance with #1...but I want to try and make sure I'm not chasing my tail first.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you need to line up the dowel.
I did notice 3 slots in the back of the opti, but one was much bigger than the other 2.....it didn't look like the other 2 were big enough for the dowel on the camshaft to fit in. Could be though.....now we gotta pull all that shit back off. I hate this modern EFI shit!!!! Live and learn I guess. :-damnit

·
Registered
151 Posts
As long as you have the dowel in the deepest slot that is correct. it will still bolt up if you have it in the wrong one but its def gonna run like shit, and you'll more than likely smoke the opti

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Damn I feel like an idiot. :(

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as you have the dowel in the deepest slot that is correct. it will still bolt up if you have it in the wrong one but its def gonna run like shit, and you'll more than likely smoke the opti
I hope not, but if we do it's got a lifetime warranty....so not a huge deal. I guess I'm going to have to pay for some gaskets and antifreeze though because I screwed up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea, i've done it before lol. timing will be all outa whack and run like crap. Not saying it will for sure smoke it, but your chances are high it will lol. Hell anytime you touch the opti the chances of it breaking are high lol

·
Registered
884 Posts
You also want to check out the plug wires after you make sure the opti spark is correct....they are bad about misfiring to the block were they go behind the water pump...ALSO make sure you were given the correct opti spark unit ....there is 2 different ones ( I believe one has a vent hole on the lower driver side ) But there is something inside different as well... If your buddy is going to stay with that ignition....he might want to buy the MSD version

·
having fun
31,332 Posts
check the harness that goes frm the ecm to the opti as well..

i know the systems well,they suck balls--one member here had to have 90 percent of his harness redone by youres truly just to drive 3k miles... stupid system

also have you double checked fuel pressure and made sure its getting enough fuel?

theres 2 sensors in there-high resolution and low resolution-double check that both signals work-you can check the low resolution with a noid light on the injectors and just spin the opti by hand,i believe high resolution can only be checked at higher rpms or with ohmage testing

·
having fun
31,332 Posts
You also want to check out the plug wires after you make sure the opti spark is correct....they are bad about misfiring to the block were they go behind the water pump...ALSO make sure you were given the correct opti spark unit ....there is 2 different ones ( I believe one has a vent hole on the lower driver side ) But there is something inside different as well... If your buddy is going to stay with that ignition....he might want to buy the MSD version
gm version is the most expensive and most reliable

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wiring is correct, and it's a vented unit like the car is supposed to have.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check the harness that goes frm the ecm to the opti as well..

i know the systems well,they suck balls--one member here had to have 90 percent of his harness redone by youres truly just to drive 3k miles... stupid system

also have you double checked fuel pressure and made sure its getting enough fuel?

theres 2 sensors in there-high resolution and low resolution-double check that both signals work-you can check the low resolution with a noid light on the injectors and just spin the opti by hand,i believe high resolution can only be checked at higher rpms or with ohmage testing
Fuel pressure is the next step once we pull the cap off the opti. If it's correct we're gonna borrow a pressure gauge.

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,676 Posts
He didn't do a cam swap and throw something in there with a dowel pin thats too short to engage into the receiver in the opti drive?
I'm not near my motor right now to where I could measure the dowel length for you.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He didn't do a cam swap and throw something in there with a dowel pin thats too short to engage into the receiver in the opti drive?
I'm not near my motor right now to where I could measure the dowel length for you.
No, the car was running when he pulled it into the garage....just not well. Once it got warm it would die...and the car had the stock opti on it. It does have a GM "Hot cam" in it though....but it was installed when he bought the car.

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,676 Posts
Correct but the three mounting arms on the opti would have "not been" sitting flush to the timing cover bosses. Never ever think about "drawing" it into the contact with the mounting bolts..... SOMETHINGS NOT ALIGNED CORRECTLY

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,676 Posts
No, the car was running when he pulled it into the garage....just not well. Once it got warm it would die...and the car had the stock opti on it. It does have a GM "Hot cam" in it though....but it was installed when he bought the car.
With something like datamaster to look at the toggling of the o2's on a graph, is the frequency rate nice a tight or spread out kind of wide when in closed loop?
If it's wide your sensors are junk, throw in some of these.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/mer...e=LPE&Product_Code=234-4000&Category_Code=E15

When I worked at Delphi Information Service Solutions they were amazed at the frequency rate on these knowing how much lead I was subjecting them to.
When I left there I have their Delphi o2's in the hawk that were what anyone can buy now. They are also a lead tolerant type as all delphi 02's are. Makes it easy to not have spefic o2's for foreign markets with harsher fuels so they do build them better as Denso.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts