Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a N/A 14.1 comp 408 SBF and justed ran some C16 versus the C12. Seemed that the car slowed with the C16. Went 9.92 @ 135 with C12 and slowed to 10.11 @ 133 with C16. Can you guys give me some recomendations on what fuel I should be running and explain if and why too much octane would slow the car? Maybe something else slowed the car. Thank for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Too much octane is no good. Only would I use C16 if I was spraying the car. Stick with the C12. If you call VP Fuels they will tell you to go less than the C16 and maybe suggest C12 or C14

·
Registered
770 Posts
that seems like alot from a octane change. could maybe the air itself changed the power. i know air can make a huge change in power. temp. hum. bar. da

·
Registered
770 Posts
o and my bbc was dyno with c14. c16 on spray but i run c16 on motor and spray. did not know it would hurt performance on motor. good ?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
that seems like alot from a octane change.
that is EXACTLY what happens when you run a very slow burning forced induction fuel in a N/A car.

Ive been telling my customers this for a long time. If the car ran great on C12 stick with it, otherwise if you are looking to go a little more timing or push the car slightly harder C14 is a great choice as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have been out of racing for a while so I am learning all this stuff over again. Just put the engine in the car and we are in the process of tuning. I don't race for titles or money, I just do it as a hobby, but I want to make sure that I am using the correct fuel.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just to add another thought , i know of a former NHRA Stock Eliminator World Champion who won that championship using 118 octane race fuel exclusively . He was matching burn rate to his combo .

Mike Croley
dist. for Competition Race Fuels

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i got 2 tenths out of my car,from 9.43 to 924 from lowering the octane i used with no changes to car ,except for fuel used

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car seems to be running better with the C12 and the times seem more consistent. Will be using the C12 until I start running the nitrous and then I will switch over to C16. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
US slow pokes have even experienced this. Example I drove my Old Lightning @ 5 hours to Atco to go racing. We threw the bogarts on, empty'd the tank, threw the Race Tune in it, and C-16'd up. I ran a hi 9 and then it started raining so I had to swap tires and drive it home. My frigging truck didnt even want to start or idle with the dam C-16, plus it ran like shit until I burned it up and got some street fuel back in it...

I find 100 Octane is great for this Cobra but if I ever set it up for Kill and pulley up I'll run C12 or maybe try C16 again ?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I find 100 Octane is great for this Cobra but if I ever set it up for Kill and pulley up I'll run C12 or maybe try C16 again ?
on a 2.8kb set on kill go with C16. That blower will like the cooling effects of C16 plus the protection is worth it on a blower setup like that!

As a matter of fact, im trying to get my cousin to swap our his poor ol eaton for that exact blower!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts