Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 500' spool of 16ga Black Machine Tool Wire (MTW) from work. It's made by "Carol Brand". On the actual wire it says.

"CAROL 16 AWG 600V E135243-8 MTW (UL) OR TFF OR AWM VW-1 --- CSA TEW 105C FT1 01/10"

Is this something I can use for some wiring in my truck? What can you tell me about it compared to the other cross-linked wires that are normally used?

Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Yes you can use it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
It is very good wire, but not really for your application. 16ga is a little on the light side and the mtw (stands for machine tool wire and is the same as thhn, xhhw etc) has quite a memory. When you string it out it'll want to coil back up and you will go thru all kinds of effort to get it to look clean and professional and you'll be disappointed. Get the pvc 14ga wire, its' only about 11 or 12 bucks for 100' spool, for less than a hundred you'll have a bunch of colors to work with and you'll be proud of the finished product.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up on it having a memory for shape! I was hoping to use it for as much as possible trying to save money. I got laid off Monday and I'm not sure when there will be work again. My truck is 95% done and I'm trying to get it done while I have plenty of free time. Before time was the issue now $$ is the problem.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I think you will find it is made in Canada, which generally means it is really good wire, as we have some of the best copper in the world. I would use it for sure, just make sure you color code it somehow. All one color can be troublsome if you ever have to change something. Only difference I can see is good cross strand will be 125C instead of 105C, but 105C has always been considered good. (and the best for a long time)

PVC wire should never be used. The stuff is not rated for sunlight, oil, gas, etc. Also generally only has a 65C temperature rating.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you will find it is made in Canada, which generally means it is really good wire, as we have some of the best copper in the world. I would use it for sure, just make sure you color code it somehow. All one color can be troublsome if you ever have to change something. Only difference I can see is good cross strand will be 125C instead of 105C, but 105C has always been considered good. (and the best for a long time)

PVC wire should never be used. The stuff is not rated for sunlight, oil, gas, etc. Also generally only has a 65C temperature rating.
Ray, so if I plan on using some of that clear heat shrink with labels from my label maker I should be good?

I probably should just get a spool of the same stuff but in Red and just do the black for the - stuff and the red for the + stuff.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Ray, so if I plan on using some of that clear heat shrink with labels from my label maker I should be good?

I probably should just get a spool of the same stuff but in Red and just do the black for the - stuff and the red for the + stuff.
Might be a good idea. 16ga is fairly light wire though, so depends what you are wiring with it. It wont do everything you need, you will need some heavier guages as well. So yes it is a good idea for any loads that 16 or lighter guage will work for.

But you will also need some 14-10ga wire. The label maker will work and help a lot. I remember opening up the dash/floor of a truck once to see a about 60 count wire loom. Color/guage and labels, not much helped. But if you put a label at both ends and in a long section of the wire, it might come in really handy 5 years from now. As will diagrams of what you did.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
PVC wire should never be used. The stuff is not rated for sunlight, oil, gas, etc. Also generally only has a 65C temperature rating.[/QUOTE]

I must be mistaken here, i was under the impression that pvc was the more common insulator for primary wire from companies like standard ignition. What i should have reccommended is to stick with typical automotive wire like you'd get from standard ignition, it is just easier to work with, whatever the insulation is.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts

I must be mistaken here, i was under the impression that pvc was the more common insulator for primary wire from companies like standard ignition. What i should have reccommended is to stick with typical automotive wire like you'd get from standard ignition, it is just easier to work with, whatever the insulation is.[/QUOTE]
It may be PVC, it is very common and often used in automotive applications. As is the fancy clear wires from stereo shops. But it to is not great under the hood or in abusive applications.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts