Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about turbo spline poweglides, can someone explain what it is? I know it's the input shaft but why is it stronger?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Spline count. 17 (powerglide) vs 30 (turbo)

They are not necessarily stronger.... type of material used and the manufacturing process dictates strength. They are popular because you can use a "Turbo" 350/400 torque converter with no other modifications. Be aware, turbo splined powerglide input shafts come in different lengths. Planetary ratio dictates length.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Powerglide input shaft that is splined at the converter end the same as turbo 350/400. You can use the same converter that was used with a turbo 350 or 400 in your glide.

Like Detroit said its not necessary stronger, like most aftermarket inputs there are different options made from different types of steel, some stronger than others.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spline count. 17 (powerglide) vs 30 (turbo)

They are not necessarily stronger.... type of material used and the manufacturing process dictates strength. They are popular because you can use a "Turbo" 350/400 torque converter with no other modifications. Be aware, turbo splined powerglide input shafts come in different lengths. Planetary ratio dictates length.
How would I know? It's a TCI Pro X power glide.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
How would I know? It's a TCI Pro X power glide.
How would you know which input you have? Count the splines, or grab your receipt and call TCI.
With the torque converter removed you will see two sets of splines.
The larger diameter is the stator support, the smaller is the input shaft.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just as FYI, a Turbo spline input shaft in a Powerglide will require the use of a support bushing to be installed either in the front of the stator tube in the front pump, or in the torque converter on the turbine side of the converter. Not all Turbo spline input shafts can be used with a support bushing in the stator tube, so making sure a support bushing is installed in the converter is always your best bet. Most custom built "race" torque converters from most major manufacturers are automatically going to feature this support bushing in the converter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts