Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stripped my '57's hood and got flash rust as soon as I rinsed it. Prior to rinsing, I scrubbed a few rust pit with a rust dissolver.

I have a quart of Dupont self-etching primer CF-22860S, and a quart of Nason NFG-328878 mid-temp primer activator. I can't remember if the Nason activator is what the paint shop gave me.

My alterntive is to use Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or Eastwood epoxy primer. I'm hesitant to use the epoxy, because the rust treatment had phosphoric acid in it.

Your experience would be appreciated.

Wes

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,348 Posts
I just stripped my '57's hood and got flash rust as soon as I rinsed it. Prior to rinsing, I scrubbed a few rust pit with a rust dissolver.

I have a quart of Dupont self-etching primer CF-22860S, and a quart of Nason NFG-328878 mid-temp primer activator. I can't remember if the Nason activator is what the paint shop gave me.

My alterntive is to use Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or Eastwood epoxy primer. I'm hesitant to use the epoxy, because the rust treatment had phosphoric acid in it.

Your experience would be appreciated.

Wes
Wes,
DA the surface rust with 150 grit, blow off, wax&grease it, then apply a QUALITY epoxy primer,
(I use PPG DPLF in whatever color.)

The good epoxy primer/sealer will seal against any moisture
AND is an EXCELLENT base for any bodywork or build primer.

Years ago I put PPG DP90 on a bare steel 40 Ford PU cab.
It sat outside here in Minnesota for a year.
Zero rust.

Your Pal, Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts