Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking for some sort of information. I know the basics. Was really hoping for a good breakdown of how they work, exactly. Not just generalities. All the dumb mag articles just keep repeating that it's like a manual with a torque converter attached and that's the gist of it lol. Thanks.

·
T/S 368E
30,508 Posts

Does it need more than that, that explains it perfectly.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
It’s a front pump, stator support and input shaft that connects to the front of a lenco.

Most also have air pods for the trans brake which holds the output shaft of the drive until released.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've bought 3 or 4 over the years and they have some tricks to them that are both good and different but I like them. Use a THM 375 pump and the band is an easily modified THM 400. I have used then with both lyncos and Liberty. They are indestructible and easy to fix. You can very the converter charger pressure dramatical for 0 to 250 psi to do some other cool stuff with turbo motors or small CID nitrous motors.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I installed a B&J quick drive in front of a 3 speed B&J in mine and I really can't ad much except to say it takes a little practice to get it from neutral to forward and reverse. Basically a bullet proof set up.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
The forward and reversing with them is a little tricky at first but what I have found is foot off the brake pedal completely grab the trans brake and then pull it into forward or reverse and it slips right in.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
I would much rather deal with the quirks of a Lenco Bruno combo than pack around 3 spare $20,000 M&M's.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
what I meant by indestructible was its basically got one rotating the part. The main shaft goes from the converter turbine to the input of the transmission. An air operated THM 400 band grips the drum for the trans brake. The pump is a THM 375. I've put dramatic amounts of torque to the standard 300 m THM 400 size input shaft and never broke one. You can get it with a huge 1.250 input shaft. The hard parts are just flat stout and not going to break. The bands and front pumps are cheaply available parts and part of maintenance.
The fluid circuit is easy to manipulate and since it's not used to operate the transmission you can dump converter pressure to almost zero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts