Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how the title says im wondering how much power has anybody seen the 351w block hold. I have a 1972block with all 4340 forged internals and putting alot of boost to it like im planning on making over 1000rwhp on it and just was wondering if thats too much, yall let me know plz

·
Registered
27 Posts
mains in those even with a girdle are only good for 700hp. I know everyone is going to say I make 800-900, check your et against power and weight then tell me your making that power. I have seen the mains and studs and girdle fall out more than once! Don't do it, get a DART Block

·
Registered
27 Posts
you can splayed cap this block and it will handle around 800 maybe 850, then your just going to split a cylinder wall, you could hard block it then you would have something good for a little more maybe. by that time you could of had a DART!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i wasnt always tryin to make that power when i built it and by the time i ws done with the short block i could've bought a 427 dart short block for just the same price or a lil more.....i was just thinkin of trying it and see what would happened if i even girdled top and bottom

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Got a buddy thats been numerous 5.30s at @ 130+ with a early 70s block converted to 4-bolt mains.

Drag car only though . . . don't know how many miles you could get out of one if thats your plan

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Those 'top' girdles are a waste of your money.
I would think that a well built stock block should take at least 650HP before breaking.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had a customer with a 3/4 filled stock 2 bolt block, girdle running 5.2's at ~138 for a full season at 3200lb. Then the block split...You can do the math

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The 69 is the strongest windsor block, then up to around 74 they were decent. Then they went to crap. I've heard the 94 roller block is a little better than the 80s blocks, but not much.

I had an 84 block, 4.17" stroke 427 with 28oz balance. Had a main girdle on it with studded mains. Shifted at 6400 rpms, ran it 1-1.5 yrs and when I pulled it to rebuild, we found that the center 3 mains were cracked and the caps were walking all over the place. Car ran [email protected] all day at 3000 lbs race weight. Never sprayed it.

I've seen guys pushing them further, most of them are 4" stroke and less and have a nice zero balance crank and extra work done.

I would save your money and get a dart block. Problem is your rotating assembly probably has a 3" main crank in it and all Dart blocks use 2.75" main. So I would say sell your shortblock for what you can and build a complete new shortblock or buy a complete well built shortblock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts