Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dyno with my small 347 and big d3m procharger and all I could get with the small pulley was 16lbs at 7200 rpm
this thing has 73/46 pulleys and was around the 51,000rpm mark on a max of 56,000rpm
I cant seem to find boost leak right now and the blow off valves seem to be fine. I will be doing more checking though, for who knows what??
Can the procharger be worn and not make boost? It seems kind of strange to be worn as its just air going through. I dont understand what can wear and the blades have no damage
any help would be great as Im stumped right now

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
are you running it with the air filter that is in your avatar? If the impeller isnt damaged the only thing that could effect boost would be excessive volute clearance. If you are running the filter remove it, it is a huge restriction. If you are not than I still suspect a boost leak.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I tried it without the filter, and no tube, directly into the supercharger, did not help anything
Is excessive volute clearance a common with the procharger?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
never wore 1 out... and mine made 25lbs on a 523 cid bbf..:rolleyes: are you intercooled?? if so, what is the boost drop across the cooler?? i ran 73/52 pulleys, when i went to the 77 crank pulley, i made 30+lbs with a 48 blower pulley!! only spun the bigblock 6500!! hope this helps....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damm there is a problem, now to find out what it is:confused:
I dont have a boost gauge on both sides of the intercooler so I dont know what the drop is, but it is the procharger air to air sheetmetal unit with 3.5" piping

·
Registered
160 Posts
damm there is a problem, now to find out what it is:confused:
I dont have a boost gauge on both sides of the intercooler so I dont know what the drop is, but it is the procharger air to air sheetmetal unit with 3.5" piping
I had a tare in the rubber diaphragm on my Big Red Blow-Off Valve. You mite have something going on with your Valve train. I also lost Boost over the last year , looks like i mushroomed all my exhaust valves .. I would dig further into the motor ....

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Is your crank double keyed . Possible that you sheared a key and are slipping you balancer on your crank under load and rpm ? I would also check to see if your a/a intercooler is a restriction . Had a engine that we bypassed prochargers a/a intercooler with plastic PVC piping and the engine picked up hp . Make sure that your boost reference lines do not have a hole or something in them . Maybe even try and move the location of where you are picking up the signal at as I had a problem with by BR regulator and where I was picking up my signal at .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah well I will be checking more out tonight, I had 3 seperate boost pressures. 1 gauge, 1 accel gen 7 and the dyno, all reading the same. I could move it before the intercooler, But I will check the piping, intercooler etc. first
I will check my balancer but from looking at the nut that was painted with the engine and the paint is nut cracked. So I would say its fine

·
Registered
88 Posts
my F-1 was doing the same thing you are talking about. I sent it back to Procharger only to be told there was nothing wrong with and they would not put in on there flow bench and check it. Now for the funny part, they charged me 318 dollars to check it out and put in new bearings , seals, and balance it, ( wait for it ) it came back with a brand new CNCed billet impeller, but they told me it was perfect and there wasn't anything wrong with it period. LOL I'm noting complaining i love my new impeller. makes more boost now ..

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
my F-1 was doing the same thing you are talking about. I sent it back to Procharger only to be told there was nothing wrong with and they would not put in on there flow bench and check it. Now for the funny part, they charged me 318 dollars to check it out and put in new bearings , seals, and balance it, ( wait for it ) it came back with a brand new CNCed billet impeller, but they told me it was perfect and there wasn't anything wrong with it period. LOL I'm noting complaining i love my new impeller. makes more boost now ..
ok, now send it back and this time put $ 636 dollars in the box and see what comes back!:yawinkle:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnson68SS so when you got it back what kind of boost difference did you see?
Im thinking im losing about 10lbs with my pulley combo but dont want to send it to procharger yet, as im not 100% sure if the blower is the problem

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I will be doing a leak down etc tonight to see whats up

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
had a ring land go pop on one cylinder and lost 4 psi on the boost guage. nothing really notiable as far as idle/ free rev just felt down on power. try pulling the oil dip stick and give`r a good rev. see any blow-by?

·
Registered
968 Posts
That engine seems to have a lot of pressure exiting the valve cover breather when its in a full pull. is there only the 1 breather ?? maybe it needs larger, (and another) breather, as it has maybe too much crank case pressure??

when you let off the throttle, i noticed the air coming out of the BOV's doesn't seem "clean" like there's something misted in there with it?? (yet i know the plugs are clean and there are no signs of ring blow by), at least by the plug, cuz they were minty clean and burning fine.

what about removing the intercooler and running just pipe (as stated above)?? that cooler shouldn't be a restriction though, its a good cooler. it's the biggest procharger offers, correct??

Just throwing ideas out there. . .

Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had 2 breathers but 1 was blocked for the dyno oxygen sensor. Im sure the bov could be misting out from say a small leak in the blower seal since it is an engine oil feed unit. its a real good procharger one, I cant remember which one, I could run a pipe but I dont think its that. I ran compressed air in today quickly and seems to have 0 air leaks at around 30psi I should open the throttle body and look at the guage in the car and see what it says, besides that burn it and collect insurance

·
Registered
117 Posts
All prochargers have CNC'd impellers. They probably damaged your impeller doing the rebuild, and had to replace it.

The impeller can't wear and change the boost.

When the OP looks everything over, he will likely find a crack in the intercooler, loose clamp, bypass valve leaking, or possibly something with the engine.

I promise you, it isn't the blower. You'll be wasting your money sending it back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i really looked over the blower and it looks perfect, impeller has no damage at all, So Im now guessing its something else but dont have a clue where to check

1 - 20 of 48 Posts