Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9.5" PI Stallion that was behind a 351W in a stang. I think it's a 4900 right now, but the owner wants a 5700 stall now. Can this one be sent to Neal Chance or someone like that to be restalled and still be a good converter? Last time I spoke with someone about getting my own converter restalled, they said there was a limit to how much they could do with my 9.5" PI converter. I believe they said 4300rpm at the most and any higher would be super inefficient. The owner of this one doesn't want to buy a new converter since he just spent $300 to buy this one(used) and $250 to have it rebuilt by a local guy. I guess I could sell it, but I just thought I'd give it a shot and see what ya'll think. New converter or can we work with what we got? Car is 3100lbs, C4 trans, 4.57 gears, 500-600HP.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
They get really bad when they get loose. Put a 8" coan in it and picked .30

He is going to have $900 into something that is not right. For $1100 could get the right one that will be faster.

Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
ditto with everyone. It is not hard to get a converter that large to stall where you want it but the efficiency will be terrible. You will have to run a very negative fin angle pump and a 102 stator. They will stall but the dont perform very well.!!!

Greg

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PI seems to think they can make a good converter out of it still. They say they stand behind their claim that they can get 6000 out of it and still be a quality converter. I believe you guys, but I don't understand their thinking on the matter. Are we talking about having 30% slip on the big end or having a turd off the line?...I'm not exactly sure what inefficient converter means. What about an ATI Treemaster? That seems to be affordable.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
It will be junk. Unless you have a data logger to back it up they will tell you anything.

Tim

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turns out the guy I talked to the other day about the PI converter, he wasn't actually part of PI...he was just a BS salesman. I called PI directly and they agreed with you guys that 5700rpms ain't gonna work. So we are looking for a lower priced 8".

·
Troublemaker
4,626 Posts
I made the mistake of not reading your original post, I didn't realize you wanted to raise it that high.

Lenny at Ultimate Converter had done one for me but it was only restalled to about 4500 (for a 4R70W, the triple-disc converter).

He would be a great place to start. Everyone I know uses him and is absolutely thrilled with his service. He goes above and beyond. I wrote an article on him a number of years ago, in fact, all of the photos on this page are from that article. Clean and well organized back then, I can only imagine how nice his new place must be.

Guys like Trace Meyer, Ben Mens, Butch Kemp, Don Bowles, Robbie Blankenship all use him. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
My new 8" bastard custom will be here next week sometime from Lenny. It is not cheap but will make or break a car.

Tim

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey I just found out that there's a 7" converter. Is that just for the big dogs(serious racers) or high rpm guys? I found one that's supposed to be 5800-6000. Or would it be better to stick with an 8"? How close are you supposed to have your stall rpm to your shift points? We shift this car around 7000-7300rpms, so would a 5800 stall be too high? I believe peak torque is around 5100(dyno sheet looked like crap).

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have been told a 7" will not live on the street.

5800 is about perfect on a 7300 shift

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts