Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
17,466 Posts
This is why I have a camaro. It’s the best sports car period.
And with just a few bolt on parts it can make 850 hp with ease.
Better snatch up a camaro now.

·
Señor Member
29,157 Posts
Always a bride's maid...

·
Registered
36,543 Posts
Very little about that test I'd disagree with. The GT has a hell of an engine but it blows the tires off at the hit on anything other than a prepped drag strip; the Challenger has a truckload of old-school badassery but rides on an outdated chassis incapable of fully dealing with 4500 pounds and 800 horsepower and the Camaro's interior sucks. It also beats your body stupid on the street with the 1LE suspension.

Leave off the 1LE package, deal with the Spark-quality interior and the weird front end and the Camaro is probably the best deal, in light of its much-less price. You can buy a ZL1 for $60 grand; that Mustang will cost you over $100,000 with the track package, if you count the 'pack' they're adding to MSRP - if you can even find a dealer who has one to sell you.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
This is why I have a camaro. It’s the best sports car period.
And with just a few bolt on parts it can make 850 hp with ease.
Better snatch up a camaro now.
The regular ZL1 is the better car.
Much cheaper and a ride you can live with.....handles almost as good.

What wins the day for the Camaro is also what kills it.
The suspension is just too damn stiff.....and don't get caught out in the rain.

The Mustang really does cost too much money.
I also agree with the fuel tank.

It does have tires that are more user friendly......(Weather).

The Challenger as I said before does a better job at being a muscle car.
Sometimes being extremely good enough is good enough.

Now where are the damn lap times?

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car and Driver has enough common sense to make sure they all have fresh tires.
They run what they get, how the car comes is usually how they run them. It would be Ford who sent the car, so they likely made sure the tires were fresh, but it didn’t make much difference for the GT500 in this case. I am very surprised there were no lap times though.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Admitted fans of the Camaro. Camaro wins but with no lap times... Whatever. Competition improves them all so keep the comparisons coming!

·
Registered
36,543 Posts
The ZL1-1LE is a formidable piece on a road course...of the hundreds of cars Car and Driver has run around Virginia Motorsports Park's 4-mile road course, it's #13 of all time, bested only by a handful of $500,000+ supercars - and the ZR1 Corvette, which is #3. The Camaro beat cars like the Ferrari 488, Lamborghini Hurican, Ford GT (2017 model), Porsche Turbo S, everything McLaren makes other than the Senna, Mosler, Dodge Viper ACR and Nissan's GTR Nismo. It also beat the GT350R by over 6 seconds - which at the speeds they average is about 1/4 mile.

But there's no lap times posted for a 2020 GT500, so who knows. Maybe it's quicker. I doubt it.

·
Registered
36,543 Posts
Admitted fans of the Camaro. Camaro wins but with no lap times... Whatever. Competition improves them all so keep the comparisons coming!
There's only one problem with favoring the Camaro because of its stellar lap times. How many people are going to drop nearly 70 grand for a ZL1-1LE Camaro just so it can spend its life running around road courses? Not many, and I'm telling you, you can't live with the damn thing on the street. I've ridden in one, once, and we once had a Nissan Nismo (370Z) on our lot for sale - and they're literally like driving a car with no suspension whatsoever. Anything other than minor imperfections in the road will knock your ass over in the other lane. You can't carry on a conversation; your voice sounds like you swallowed a vibrator. Taking a drink of something is out of the question. Slamming your head against the roof happens about once every 30 seconds. You'll seriously consider a kidney belt.

They're RACE cars, where such inconveniences are of no concern. If what you want is a dedicated track car, fine. If not, choose the standard suspension. Odds are it's more capable than you are, anyway.

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Only on YB or FB would I expect a car that runs within .002 seconds on a road course and trap 132 vs 124 in the 1/4 inferior to the winner by some magazine guys that couldn't pop the hood without looking at the manual

Camaro FTW till it's extinct....again

·
Registered
16,120 Posts
Only on YB or FB would I expect a car that runs within .002 seconds on a road course and trap 132 vs 124 in the 1/4 inferior to the winner by some magazine guys that couldn't pop the hood without looking at the manual

Camaro FTW till it's extinct....again
You need ointment.

·
Registered
36,543 Posts
I hand it out, because they need it, the coyotes out here murdering anything short of some lame ass pro mods, but this place wouldn't know anything more than magazine racing shit like this
Read the article again....they didn't criticize the car because of the Coyote engine. They praised the engine to the heavens. The problem they had with the car was the cost. Everybody knows the CFTP cars are six figures and they'll likely remain that way for quite some time.

Myself, I didn't say the Camaro is a better car; I said it's a better deal. And it is. 60 grand gets you in a new ZL1 non-1LE, with the discounts the dealers will gladly give you. A Redeye widebody is 20-25K higher and even non-track pack GT500s are bringing around 90K. I know, I know, you've got a friend who bought one for invoice less the holdback....and got $50,000 trade-in for his 14 model. :p

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
There's only one problem with favoring the Camaro because of its stellar lap times. How many people are going to drop nearly 70 grand for a ZL1-1LE Camaro just so it can spend its life running around road courses? Not many, and I'm telling you, you can't live with the damn thing on the street. I've ridden in one, once, and we once had a Nissan Nismo (370Z) on our lot for sale - and they're literally like driving a car with no suspension whatsoever. Anything other than minor imperfections in the road will knock your ass over in the other lane. You can't carry on a conversation; your voice sounds like you swallowed a vibrator. Taking a drink of something is out of the question. Slamming your head against the roof happens about once every 30 seconds. You'll seriously consider a kidney belt.

They're RACE cars, where such inconveniences are of no concern. If what you want is a dedicated track car, fine. If not, choose the standard suspension. Odds are it's more capable than you are, anyway.
Really?
Hmmm. You know this from driving one right? Like you’ve driven these car around and when you hit imperfections in the road the car darts into the other lane?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts