Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When youre spraying big nitrous is it better to retard the cam or set the dots straight up? Or does the cam profile dictate what to do.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If you have too much cranking compression and if you find the tuning window to be small you can retard the cam a bit to help with the tuning window.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I retarded the cam 2 degrees which gave me 114CL and top end power. I tryed dot with dot before gave me what my cam card said 112CL ....it just doesn't give you more horsepower when you degree your cam..all you do is checking it making sure its right from what your cam card says..retarding it helps you on top end power, and advancing it helps with low end power...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
And getting a cam with the right events in the first place will make the right power in the right spot.

You cannot intelligently make blanket statements like that.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Just because you installed your cam "dot to dot", does NOT mean it was in, where the card said it should have been. Gears can be off, dowel pins off, any number of things. Seldom, is a cam installed straight up, correct. You should ALWAYS put a degree wheel on it. I have had cams be as much as 10 degrees off before.

Monte

·
Registered
967 Posts
^^^ exactly what Monte has said you should always degree in if you need to change slighty to make valve timing events where you want them then do so. Never trust those little dots just like putting a balancer on and bolting a timing pointer on and not checking its accuracy!

KG

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with what everyone said. The only difference I do is I advance the cam 1 degree from what its suppose to be on the cam card and the reason for my thinking is timing chain stretch and wear. I have checked the cam timing after a bunch of passes and found the timing to have retarded from my original setting by 1 to 2 degrees in the past and since I started doing this practice I have seen my cam timing fall to the specs in a short period of time and stay there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts