Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a Gen 1 sbc, I've put a two piece Jesel Belt drive on it. I have 5* cam advance in it. My question is when doing the static timing before initial fire up, when lining up the marks on the cam wheel and the crank wheel, do I use their "0" mark or the straight line that I have 5 degrees advanced? I may be making this process more complicated than it is, but when I have #1 int and exh valves loose, and at top dead center, the Jesel name brand on the cam wheel is upside down! Someone please explain this process to me, this isn't my first engine build, but is my first with a Jesel Belt. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
you put it dot to dot
That's the way it's suppose to be, but mine is off if I use those. So, point being don't assume anything.

Blessings.........Ron

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
You should align the dots always when installing the belt setup,

The you should degree the camshaft and moving the spider accordingly to get the camshaft degreed where it is supposed to be,.... I've had it dead nuts on zero and others have been 4-6 retarded or advanced

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that have replied. I thought that I followed the Jesel installation instructions closely when I installed it. But, what is puzzling me is, when both the # 1 intake and the exhaust rockers are loose at TDC, the Jesel name on the cam wheel is upside down. Is this normal? Or do I have it 180* off? Also, when I rotate the crank one complete turn, back to #1 TDC, both the int and exh valves are open about 1/8". I also took a lot of time to degree the cam and check piston to valve clearance's when I installed it, so how, or do I, need to correct my cam timing? Thanks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The rockers should be loose @ TDC compression or else the engine wouldn't be making any power with the valves open. When the valves are open a little bit that should be TDC exhaust stroke. The jesel pulleys have keyways and the cam has a dowel so if you lined up the dots it's pretty hard to mess up, especially an entire crank rotation.

Thanks to all that have replied. I thought that I followed the Jesel installation instructions closely when I installed it. But, what is puzzling me is, when both the # 1 intake and the exhaust rockers are loose at TDC, the Jesel name on the cam wheel is upside down. Is this normal? Or do I have it 180* off? Also, when I rotate the crank one complete turn, back to #1 TDC, both the int and exh valves are open about 1/8". I also took a lot of time to degree the cam and check piston to valve clearance's when I installed it, so how, or do I, need to correct my cam timing? Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, thanks to all that have replied. All of you have helped me a lot. From what I'm reading, I believe I've got it on right and timed right, I'll check the timing as soon as I fire it up, and see where I am on total timing, then adjust from there. Vegaman, it sure is good to know that the cam wheel will be upside down, that makes me feel much better. Maybe I'm not as crazy as I had thought!!!!
Again, many thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I used a dial indicator and degree wheel. I took very careful measurements and wrote it all down in my build book. I also used the dial indicator to measure piston to valve clearance at different degrees of cam advance and retard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts