Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a pickup on a Danny Bee belt drive for can sync ? Trying to keep my crank trigger distributor thats in my motor . The motor is a SBF . Any pics would be great of a setup.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If it will I could drill my distributor and install it from the bottom side and keep my crank trigger distributor . Anyone know the part number ? What I was trying to say in the first post was anyone using a pickup with a Danny Bee with a pickup for cam sync . Hell without reading glass's

·
Registered
189 Posts
?? You use the distributor for cam sync and a crank trigger on the balancer.... Never seen it the other way around

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have a crank trigger set up . The crank trigger distributor has nothing inside but the rotor . I was thinking about putting the pickup in the bottom of the distributor and epoxy the magnet to the metal plate the rotor sits on . Its a Fast XFI on this car .

·
Registered
808 Posts
What about dumping the distibutor, go coil on plug, and use the cam position sensor for an explorer. If you already have fuel ignition go all the way!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about dumping the distibutor, go coil on plug, and use the cam position sensor for an explorer. If you already have fuel ignition go all the way!
Question about the explorer cam sync ... Don't the 302 motors have a different size shaft for the oil pump drive than a 351? I have dry sump and that does not matter just want to know that the outer diameter of the shaft will be ok down in the hole .

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what one is better MSD 2346 or the MSD 2348 hall effect ? Hall effect better than the magnetic pickup?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
So which one is better MSD 2346 or the MSD 2348 Hall-Effect? Hall-Effect better than the magnetic pickup?
The more robust Hall-Effect sensors are preferred because they're not susceptible to EMI/RFI interference/noise,
and their digital square-wave signal strength is consistent, regardless of RPM (unlike the VR magnetic sine-wave).
Also, the magnetic VR signal is weaker at cranking speeds.

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
http://www2.electronicproducts.com/...ong_for_you-article-OCTCHE1-oct2000-html.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)

Excerpt from Holley manual:
NOTE - It is not advised to use a magnetic pickup distributor to directly feed the magnetic trigger input of the ECU. If the
magnetic pickup distributor is connected to the ECU via the inductive pickup trigger wires, the pickup/rotor/cap phasing
must be corrected. This operation may require a phaseable cap or rotor or possibly machining to the distributor and is
therefore beyond the scope of most users. Even with the phasing corrected, the electrical noise inside the cap
(due to the high voltage cap & rotor terminals) may be strong enough to cause electrical noise interference.
It is advised to use a crank trigger system or a computer-controlled distributor.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Will it work with the FAST XFI?
I would think so, the FAST Dual Sync distributor uses Hall-Effect crank & cam sensors. Read the manual, I'm sure it's in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts