Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try this? On my old sb, we used the little wheel piece from Jesel with the embedded magnet but that installed on axis to the cam gear itself. You just had to use a slightly longer LH thread cam bolt for it and you were good to go. My new combo has the fuel pump on axis so I need something radially outward from the center. I'm thinking of just drill a hole in the cam gear, tossing a magnet in there and throwing some epoxy over it. I can build the bracket for it off of the fuel pump bracket because it's pretty sturdy.

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/hints on the best way to attach the magnet to the cam gear itself? I'll be using the tried and true MSD 2348 for the sensor itself.

If not I will just update this with the gameplan and people can use it for reference (of what not to do).

Here's a pic I found online of a wheel with a magnet stuffed in it but it appears to just be pressed in:

·
X275 Derby Winner!
2,839 Posts
I run mine like that with no problems... (8300rpm)
I use a hall efect sensor and the Holley Dominator efi. Set as "digital falling" in the software.

DonB.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what it'll look like:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
we tapped the cam gear and made an alum treaded slug with the magnet in it and screwed it in to the wheel

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we tapped the cam gear and made an alum treaded slug with the magnet in it and screwed it in to the wheel
How did you attach the magnet to the slug? Epoxy on top or something? You have to run a pretty tight airgap with these things I know first-hand. I think we had ours down to .015" using the jesel wheel deal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually, we used a magnet out of a Snap-on "pocket prybar" Free, of course! And it measured .185" diameter and we drilled and epoxied it right in the cam gear, of course in the correct position. Then made a bracket coming off the motor plate to hold the 3/8" MSD non magnetic pick-up sensor. Works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts