Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had Bullet grind me a new cam. Haven't ran the car yet, just wanted your thoughts. Old cam had 100 degrees of overlap and intensity was 35. New cam has 66 degrees over lap and intensity is 30. Engine is a 12 to 1 540 with two 4150's on gas. New cam also has 4 degrees more duration at .050, but has 1 degree less duration at .020. What should I expect to see?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I just had Bullet grind me a new cam. Haven't ran the car yet, just wanted your thoughts. Old cam had 100 degrees of overlap and intensity was 35. New cam has 66 degrees over lap and intensity is 30. Engine is a 12 to 1 540 with two 4150's on gas. New cam also has 4 degrees more duration at .050, but has 1 degree less duration at .020. What should I expect to see?
From 100 degrees of overlap to 66 degrees is a huge difference. What where you looking to change when you got the new cam grind? Not to be a dick head but did you let them recommend a grind or did you pick it out yourself? Most would need more information on your combo to make a recommendation.
The reason I ask is that is the kind of questions you should be asking before you purchase a new cam...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From 100 degrees of overlap to 66 degrees is a huge difference. What where you looking to change when you got the new cam grind? Not to be a dick head but did you let them recommend a grind or did you pick it out yourself? Most would need more information on your combo to make a recommendation.
The reason I ask is that is the kind of questions you should be asking before you purchase a new cam...
I let them pick the cam. I talked with Tim. I was wanting to "trick"the engine into thinking it had more compression. I told him everything that was going on. I told him that the old cam quit pulling at around 6800. The old cam was 278/[email protected] on a 110ls with a 110IC. The new cam is 282/[email protected] with a 110LS and 108 IC. Lift went from .748/.714 to .776/.772.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I let them pick the cam. I talked with Tim. I was wanting to "trick"the engine into thinking it had more compression. I told him everything that was going on. I told him that the old cam quit pulling at around 6800. The old cam was 278/[email protected] on a 110ls with a 110IC. The new cam is 282/[email protected] with a 110LS and 108 IC. Lift went from .748/.714 to .776/.772.
My guess is you should pick up some Hp upstairs. Increased duration plus lift should allow the cylinders to fill more.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Will my cylinder pressure pick up? I also loosened my converter up to 5900. It was at 5400.

Since the LSA is the same on both cams, I'd say probably not.
Tighter LSAs increase cylinder pressure.

Agree with uncle paul. Added lift and slight increase in duration will give you more up top.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Will my cylinder pressure pick up? I also loosened my converter up to 5900. It was at 5400.
If the intake is closing sooner then cranking compression will pick up. Now as far as WOT cylinder pressure that will depend on how well your heads and manifold flow so you can take advantage of the increases lift and duration.
I say put the cam in then drive it like to stole it... :supz:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the intake is closing sooner then cranking compression will pick up. Now as far as WOT cylinder pressure that will depend on how well your heads and manifold flow so you can take advantage of the increases lift and duration.
I say put the cam in then drive it like to stole it... :supz:
It is in and engine is running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts