The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the +5 at the end of the center line mean? Thanks

223/231 .617"/.598" 113+5

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's the companies recommended intake center line. The cam is ground with a 113 lobe separation and they recommend you install it 5 degrees advanced, which means you would have a IC of 108 and EC of 118. A camshaft 's lobe separation in ground into the cam and cannot be changed, where as the intake center line is whatever you make it.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, another person said it meant that they grind the cam with 5 degrees of advance.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks, another person said it meant that they grind the cam with 5 degrees of advance.
That's their intentions, but without actually degreeing it you won't know. Several variables stack up causing the IC to move all over the place. If you just line up the dots, your IC could be anywhere from 4* retarded to 4* advanced. The cam grinder can't predict how precise your timing set and crankshaft are machined.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's their intentions, but without actually degreeing it you won't know. Several variables stack up causing the IC to move all over the place. If you just line up the dots, your IC could be anywhere from 4* retarded to 4* advanced. The cam grinder can't predict how precise your timing set and crankshaft are machined.
I was wondering if people was just throwing the cams in these turbo junkyard ls builds and running it.
Do you degree an ls just like an old school sbc? Will the same degree wheel work?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
No you would have to buy a degree wheel set or make your own for the LS platform.

I've never installed one cam that came dead nuts as specced, always need some advance/retard to match the cam card. I've always had good luck with Cloyes Hex-a-just timing sets as they allow you to make quick adjustments without taking everything apart.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No you would have to buy a degree wheel set or make your own for the LS platform.

I've never installed one cam that came dead nuts as specced, always need some advance/retard to match the cam card. I've always had good luck with Cloyes Hex-a-just timing sets as they allow you to make quick adjustments without taking everything apart.
I bought the hex-a-just chain so that good to hear.thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts