Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to ditch the electric pump and run a mechanical. I can cam drive it or belt drive it off the crank. Any issues with cam drive I should take into consideration?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the only issue is the cam drive mechanical pump losing prime due the fuel draining away from it while sitting, this is easily solved.
It would be fairly easy to wire and plumb in in a small electric 'primer' pump. A push-button on the dash activates the electric pump until the line and pump body are full of fuel.
Turn the key and drive away.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That's not the only issue. If the car 60's hard and has a rear mounted cell the pump can have problems drawing fuel the full length of the car when g forces are working against it. I have a little red belt drive aero that basically goes where a cam driven pump would. I plan to use a surge tank in the front and a small electric pump to supply fuel to it from the tank. With some ball valves this also gets you an easy way to run dissimilar fuels for street or track.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If the only issue is the cam drive mechanical pump losing prime due the fuel draining away from it while sitting, this is easily solved.
It would be fairly easy to wire and plumb in in a small electric 'primer' pump. A push-button on the dash activates the electric pump until the line and pump body are full of fuel.
Turn the key and drive away.
If you run a tube on the return line down into the tank and keep some fuel in the tank it will never lose prime even with tank mounted down lower than pump.

I prefer the tank in front of car though, not in the truck.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
That's not the only issue. If the car 60's hard and has a rear mounted cell the pump can have problems drawing fuel the full length of the car when g forces are working against it. I have a little red belt drive aero that basically goes where a cam driven pump would. I plan to use a surge tank in the front and a small electric pump to supply fuel to it from the tank. With some ball valves this also gets you an easy way to run dissimilar fuels for street or track.
You don't need the extra tank. A return style regulated electric pump in rear of car can push fuel directly into the mechanical pump. I did this for couple years on a fairly powerful boosted combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts