Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I check to see if my cam lobes have flattin...? popped off the timing cover and the cam button was destroyed oviously not enough end play

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
If you run roller lifters the roller is normally narrower then the cam lobe so pull a lifter out and simply look at the lobe on the cam. If you messed it up you will see steps.
Are we talking a BBC? If so is it a stock block or aftermarket?
If it is a stock block BBC you might be experiencing cam walk and it has nothing to do with end play.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a sbc there was neg end play and cam button destroyed
cam looks good by eye rollers look fine also

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no but I know it takes one it a retrofit Hydralic roller comp HR300
and I'm useing a cloyes timing cover thats where I f'd up i overtightened the button and it destroyed itself my main concern is did I flattin the cam lobes.. because of no cam walk.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lifters look fine and cam looks fine also...
ok do i still need to use a button?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Roller cams dont walk. Like UP said, pull out a lifter and look at it. The lifter should be riding in about the middle of the cam lobe.
Oh yes roller cams in stock GM block SBC or BBC can and do walk. I have 1st hand experience with that. Years ago I was putting together 496 and while I was degreeing the cam is nicely walked out. I rotated the motor backward and it went back in. I called a buddy of mine and he gave me the link below. I ended up pulling the motor back apart, located the block by the cam bores, put it on a vertical machine center with a big ass cnc indexer at work and rebore every lifter bore to square things up. Traded my stock size GM .843 dia roller lifter for Ford .875 dia roller lifters and that cam didn't budge a inch.
http://www.iskycams.com/camwalk.php

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yes roller cams in stock GM block SBC or BBC can and do walk.
thats correct and I believe it aplys to aftermarket blocks also...any ways I found this because of a knock that I thought was the bottom end wich turned out to be a loose bellhouseing, and since I had the engine half out anways I decided to pull it to look at the internals when I noticed metal flakes in the pan... upon further inspection I noticed the cam button was destroyed on the cloyes timming cover,,, then to my disbelief I noticed there was another in the cam sprocket 2 buttons!!!!!! total!!! this biuld is about 10 yrs old and thedumb ass engine biulder kid put it together thats the second time he has flawed my chit

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Oh yes roller cams in stock GM block SBC or BBC can and do walk. I have 1st hand experience with that. Years ago I was putting together 496 and while I was degreeing the cam is nicely walked out. I rotated the motor backward and it went back in. I called a buddy of mine and he gave me the link below. I ended up pulling the motor back apart, located the block by the cam bores, put it on a vertical machine center with a big ass cnc indexer at work and rebore every lifter bore to square things up. Traded my stock size GM .843 dia roller lifter for Ford .875 dia roller lifters and that cam didn't budge a inch.
http://www.iskycams.com/camwalk.php
I meant to say they should not walk. Meaning they should be shimmed.

I know I didn't say what I meant, and that's my bad communication skills.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Didnt know it was a roller...than yes you have to run one as already noted.

Maybe there wasnt enough clearance between the button and timing cover?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts