Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put a mechanical roller lifter on a hydraulic roller lifter grind. If you have what was the result. I have hydraulic roller lifters in a mild SBC turbo engine and I am having problems with them. I have a set of b/n mechanical lifters and was wondering if I could put them in temporarily.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What lifters are you using and what problems are you having

Solids on a hyd roller depend on the hyd roller lobe and if the lobe has a slower opening and closing ramp Before the lobe really starts accelerating open. Basically like a lash ramp for a solid. If it has a ramp then a solid roller lifter may be possible with a real tight lash like .010 or less. If no ramp then it will beat up the valvetrain and lifters due to too quick acceleration off the base circle. The hyd lifter plunger can compensate and take up that quick acceleration force but a solid cant

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Sure, it's done all the time. That is basically what many of the so called tight lash cams are in many cases hydraulic roller profiles. I would just invest in a set of bushing style solid roller lifters and call it done. That way you don't have to worry about needle bearing failures although standard solid roller lifters would tend to last longer on a tight lash setup. The difference in lifter life between solid roller and hydraulic roller lifters is lash. The standard lash solids tap on the needle bearings constantly so a some point they are not round anymore, they stop rolling and start sliding, which causes them to fail. The less they are impacted the longer the life span, simple as that. I am a dealer for a line of lifters that some cam grinders are trying to claim as "their" lifter product line, which is total bullshit. I have been very pleased with the quality and even more so of the sizing accuracy. They also offer a steel on steel bushing lifter that has a DLC coated bushing at a very reasonable price point. I am using a set in a Drag Week engine I am currently building for a customer in TX. I would be happy to sell you a set. If you are interested just shoot me an email to the address below and I'll get you some pricing information. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts