Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only made about 8 1/8 mile passes with the current setup.
Here's the rundown:

70 Charger, 3900 with driver
453 C.I., naturally aspirated, estimated 600 HP
727 trans with low gear set, 2.74 first gear
9.5'' Dynamic converter; 4,300 flash
4.10's with 325/50/15 M/T drag radials set at 18 PSI
90/10 Caltrac shocks up front, Rancho 9-ways in the rear with Caltrac monoleafs and Caltrac bars. The monoleafs are -1 inch and the car also has 2'' steel lowering blocks.
The bars are currently set in the bottom hole, driver's side shock set at 5, passenger side set at 7. I'd have to check preload as the car was torn apart and put back together over a 4-year span and I left everything how it was when last ran. I have pulled a best 60' of 1.502 with the next best 60's of 1.53 and 1.55. I've done some reading on here and it seems you want to put a lot of pressure on a drag radial and both rear shocks should be set the same. I just hoping someone could give me a good starting point for my setup. Here's a couple pics and video from last weekend. I know they aren't the optimum angle, but it's all I have. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I only hooked on 2 of my 5 runs this past weekend. I'm not sure if the inconsisteny is in my suspension setup??

·
Registered
832 Posts
All I can tell you is what jeff told me as he got me straight. Make sure everything is even side to side including the pre-load on the bars. Set it with the car level and your weight in the driver's seat. Shock settings even on both. Top hole is better for most. start fairly stiff with the shock...maybe 7. Get Jeff more video and he will hook you up.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
first thing is to much rear gear for the drag radials.. you can't gear a drag radial like a slick... with the 2.75 first gear it makes it even worse... but try the bars in the upper holes shocks right in the middle both shocks the same.. see if that helps..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I agree with Jeff on the gearing.
On rear shock settings, with that tank on radials I would soften the rear shocks to 1 on the left and 2 on the right or even 0 and 1 if still spinning.
Also make certain that you have no binding in the front end or tortion bars. Your car does not seem to be lifting the front end enough to transfer some weight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went to the track tonight but temps were only in the mid 40's. I started with the shocks at 5, dropped down to 4, and then dropped down to 2. It hooked on the #2 setting... I was lucky enough to run shortly after they reprepped the track. I made another run at 2 and it blew the tires off, went to 1 and it blew the tires off as well. I think I need a warmer day to judge how everything works. On the one run I hooked, she went 6.79 @ 99.59 with a 1.484 60'.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the two videos I have of the one pass where I hooked. Unfortunately, I was in the far lane so it's hard to see much.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
i have a few things you need to look at and measure.. a few pics of the rear setup would be great also..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff, here are some pics I took. Let me know if you need to see anything else. I'm going to order some new tires since my M/T drag radials are about toast. I don't want a slick since I street drive the car, but I was looking at Hoosier Quick Time Pros and the E/T Streets. Any recommendation for a tire? Thanks for the help!

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
looks good the shock look to have enough for extension.. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO BINDING IN THE REAR.. THE BIGGEST ISSUE IS EVERYONE OVER TIGHTEN THE SPRING BOLTS AND SHACKLE BOLTS AND THE CALTRAC BLOT BINDING THE REAR UP.. if the rear binds no adjustment will work... as for tire the hoosier drag radial is the better drag radial and if you go the other way use the e.t streets there better then the quick time pros...

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
btw lower the front as much as you can and still be safe!!! get a good shock in the rear over the winter, a afco or strange d/a... your really need to control the extension and compression in a stock leaf spring car..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts