Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bind.....I had the 5.0 internally balanced, so I ordered a neutral balance flexplate.....this is a 157 tooth small flexplate.......the C4 I have has the bell bolted to the front pump.....This bell will NOT work with the small flexplate. The convertor was built for the bolt pattern of the SMALL flexplate, so I'm stuck with this small flexplate....I need the bell that will work with the small 157 tooth flexplate......BUT I do NOT know if THIS bell will even bolt to the C4 I have cuz some C4's had the bell bolted to the trans not the pump......My question is this....IS there a bell that will work with the small flexplate that fits a CASE FILL C4 that has the bell bolted to the pump???? AND IF SO DOES ANYONE FAIRLY LOCAL (east Tx or La) HAVE ONE TO SELL???? HELP!!!!!! Trying to get this running this weekend!

I can be reached at 337-794-5519
Thanks,
Tony Naquin

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The PA bellhousing will work for both large or small flexplate. The problem is the depth of the convert. If you try and use on a large bellhousing it will pull to far out of the pump and you will damage some stuff.

Find a PA bellhousing for that trans and it will work.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The depth of the small and large flex plate are different. You can drill holes in the flex plate, but the converter will pull out tooo far if you have a large bell housing. It will look like it is going to work, you will think it is going to work, but you will f up the trans.

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
might be easier and quicker to get a neutral balance big flexplate! Or if you are in a real bind just knock the weight off a stock big one for the week end
Thought of that....won't work with the small flex convertor..........

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The depth of the small and large flex plate are different. You can drill holes in the flex plate, but the converter will pull out tooo far if you have a large bell housing. It will look like it is going to work, you will think it is going to work, but you will f up the trans.
Yup! sorry did not see this before I posted.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm in a bind.....I had the 5.0 internally balanced, so I ordered a neutral balance flexplate.....this is a 157 tooth small flexplate.......the C4 I have has the bell bolted to the front pump.....This bell will NOT work with the small flexplate. The convertor was built for the bolt pattern of the SMALL flexplate, so I'm stuck with this small flexplate....I need the bell that will work with the small 157 tooth flexplate......BUT I do NOT know if THIS bell will even bolt to the C4 I have cuz some C4's had the bell bolted to the trans not the pump......My question is this....IS there a bell that will work with the small flexplate that fits a CASE FILL C4 that has the bell bolted to the pump???? AND IF SO DOES ANYONE FAIRLY LOCAL (east Tx or La) HAVE ONE TO SELL???? HELP!!!!!! Trying to get this running this weekend!

I can be reached at 337-794-5519
Thanks,
Tony Naquin

77 body style Mustangs used the small bell housing and flex plate.

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
77 body style Mustangs used the small bell housing and flex plate.
That mustang II ( 74-78 ) bell housing is too small, its like a 145 tooth or something like that. I know you can get a stock 157 tooth bellhousing, that is held on with the pump bolts, cause thats whats on my car. unfortunately I can't pull part # off it while its in the car.

As for flex plates, I have not been able to find one that has both converter bolt patterns (164t/157t) to fit a windsor type engine. Althought I did find that some one makes a 164 tooth flex plate with both converter patterns but it only fits the mod motors (4.6/5.4)'s so that you can put a c-4 behind them. wtf...

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts