Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 79 Fairmont and need to replace the steering coupling , is it easier to drop the rack our pull the steering column ??

thx

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Rack is probably easier but it doesn't need to come right out. Just undo those bolts through the crossmember .

·
Registered
68 Posts
neither. remove the 12 point bolt and the lift up. The column is a collapsible so it will slide upward. You may also take the nut and bolt out near the firewall. Have fun

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well swap it out today , went smooth some what LOL fought to get the spine end on the rack till i noticed that the one i was trying to fit was a D style rather then a round version LOL , swapped the spline flanges and went together , thanx for the tip on undoing the rack Tom that made a big difference . next battle is getting the hood to lock and stay shut .

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
well swap it out today , went smooth some what LOL fought to get the spine end on the rack till i noticed that the one i was trying to fit was a D style rather then a round version LOL , swapped the spline flanges and went together , thanx for the tip on undoing the rack Tom that made a big difference . next battle is getting the hood to lock and stay shut .
Hey its a Ford, doesn't the hood stay up all the time anyway?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts