Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order rods for my 3.25 stroke big bore SBF 347. Looking to make 1500 hp with twin turbos. Shifting at 7500 and may see closer to 8k at traps.

Any opinions of which rod would better fit my application?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Oliver's are the most rod for the money in a USA produced rod and have an excellent track record. I would recommend at least 8000rpm minimum to push a 8.2" deck that hard. The tiny main journal size is the thing that most concerns me building those little engines. A really good internal balance job is very important IMHO. Obviously the valvetrain needs to be up to the task at those rpm and power levels. What are some of the details on heads, head gaskets and valvetrain if you don't mind sharing??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'm trying to slightly over-build the short-block a bit. I am shooting for enough power to put my 3300 lb street car into the high 7s. It went 8.4 @ 162 with about 1100 fwhp, so I'm guessing 1300ish fwhp will put me where I need to be?

At any rate, I'm running AFR 220 58cc heads with SR valve springs, Inconel exhaust valves and tool steel retainers, plus Jesel Sportsman rockers. Went with an FTI billet SR cam which I still have not received specs from Ed yet...I told him my goals and that I was looking to shift in the 7500+ range. Compression will be 9.7 to 1...C16 fuel and probably 25 to 30 psi boost from twin 66 mm turbos. I may need more turbo to reach my goal, but I haven't hit any plateaus yet with them.

I drive the car on the street a few hundred miles a year and make 20-30 passes at the track each year, if my work schedule permits it.

My current crank and rods are 4340 forged SCAT pieces with 8740 rod bolts. Crank snout got chewed up by balancer going ballistic, but rods show no signs of issue at this point.

Just trying to build a little more safety margin into my short block, but without going over board and spending money that I don't need to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oliver is a terrible choice, it's not the same company/rod it was years ago
Really? I haven't heard much...hence, why this post. I have called around to different places...Callies, Oliver, Crower, Carrillo...It seems my main issue is that most of these companies do not offer a 5.4" rod with a 2.123 big end and .927 pin in a power level that I am shooting for. Some of them will build me a custom rod, but I have to wait 3 to 6 months to get them and they cost a mint!

Not sure what to do, but my rod budget is $1500 max. So, hopefully I can find a "proven" rod that will handle what I'm trying to do.

·
Registered
49,338 Posts
just goto a 2.100 pin on the big end and 927 snall end. plenty of 5.4 rods out there. Oliver is a good choice

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just goto a 2.100 pin on the big end and 927 snall end. plenty of 5.4 rods out there. Oliver is a good choice
Already have a Callies Magnum crank with 2.123, but I think I am just going to go with the Oliver Standard Light rods. Any thoughts on the L19 rod bolts that they come with for a street car? Should I be worried about Hydrogen Embrittlement? Should I put ARP 2000 bolts in them?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Callies has nothing at all for your setup?? I’m surprised, especially with you running a magnum..
They do...part # U16600, Ultra H beam, but when I talked to the tech guy, he said they would only hold my power if I purchased the CA625 rod bolt upgrade which is another $575!!?? Forget that! That puts the rods at almost $2k for an H beam rod???

·
Registered
49,338 Posts
Already have a Callies Magnum crank with 2.123, but I think I am just going to go with the Oliver Standard Light rods. Any thoughts on the L19 rod bolts that they come with for a street car? Should I be worried about Hydrogen Embrittlement? Should I put ARP 2000 bolts in them?

just turn the crank 20, l19 is fine, as long as you handle it properly, the arp2000 bolts with a typical bob weight should be more than sufficient as well.

·
Banksters Paradise
4,960 Posts
What about the Carrillo bullet I beams .. i'm not sure how strong they're supposed to be but they look good and are Carrillo https://www.ebay.com/itm/4330-Forged-I-Beam-Rods-Bullet-Series-SBF-5-400-BULLET-PISTONS-BF21-5406-8/382885684370?hash=item5925c3e492:g:XrYAAOSw8yxcp9oA

edit: maybe not strong enough. info..

Road Race 700hp 8000rpm ‚ Drag Race 800hp 8500rpm. Manufactured from USA made oversized proprietary steel forgings to enable proper grain flow and guarantee removal of any surface inclusions CP-Carrillo ensures strength and durability of each Carrillo rod. Consistent and reliable from the first point of precision manufacturing all the way to extreme uses in racing world exclusive Carrillo H beam and Pro (S)A designs offer the highest strength-to-weight ratio; Custom designed fasteners; 100 traceability; multi-step final inspection; CP-Carrillo moly based fastener lubrication included.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your input. I pulled the trigger on a set of Oliver Standard Lights with the L19 bolts. I feel comfortable that these rods, coupled with my Callies Magnum crank and a precise balance, should provide a strong platform for my goals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts