Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that Callies owns it's forging dies. Is the forging done offshore? They say that the crank and rod forgings are machined in the USA. Are the raw forgings from an offshore facility?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Depends which ones. The cheaper Compstar line is forged/machined in China, finish sized in OH. The more expensive lines are made in the USA. I have an all USA made Callies Magnum crank in my 548" that has been bulletproof for over 10 years and a gazillion runs.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends which ones. The cheaper Compstar line is forged/machined in China, finish sized in OH. The more expensive lines are made in the USA. I have an all USA made Callies Magnum crank in my 548" that has been bulletproof for over 10 years and a gazillion runs.
So the Magnums are USA forged. Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
The 4.625" BBC Magnum XL crank I had was a great crank and a beautiful hand finished piece.. It had all the options including gun drilled mains and no drill counter weights with bob weight already matched to my parts. I believe they had them in stock, finished to a certain point and then ran it back thru the system for any added options. Took a good while to get it. My crank had a Japanese looking name etched into it. The salesman ( Gamester?) told me it was forged by that company for them. It was a Japanese owned foundry in the USA. As far as I know that crank is still in service.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Even the Callies Magnum cranks will fail given the chance. This one broke at 75 runs, blown 540 TD. Should of bought a billet crank to start with

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Maybe a crank front support prevent save that from happening on a forged crank. Might not be a bad idea on a billet crank either. Hope you have better luck next time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Steve, I broke a 4.5 Lunati crank right in the middle years ago .It broke the same way. Luckily it threw the timing off so bad because the crank trigger and rear mount distributor it died. I didn't even bother looking at it while I was at the track. I said I bet it broke the crank. Pulled the pan the next day. I had to roll the motor over to watch it separating next to the center main. I have a 5" Callies Magnum now. It has a few hundred passes on it. I'm N/A of course so hopefully it will live a long life.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even the Callies Magnum cranks will fail given the chance. This one broke at 75 runs, blown 540 TD. Should of bought a billet crank to start with

The lightening hole looks overly large. Did it come that way from Callies?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine is internal balance with Aluminium Rods. If I remember correctly we had to remove weight.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The 4.625" BBC Magnum XL crank I had was a great crank and a beautiful hand finished piece.. It had all the options including gun drilled mains and no drill counter weights with bob weight already matched to my parts. I believe they had them in stock, finished to a certain point and then ran it back thru the system for any added options. Took a good while to get it. My crank had a Japanese looking name etched into it. The salesman ( Gamester?) told me it was forged by that company for them. It was a Japanese owned foundry in the USA. As far as I know that crank is still in service.
I was told Back in like 05 Toyota bought Kentucky forge foundry and was making cranks and rods there. Also aftermarket cranks and rods were being forged there. Possibly Callies? I do think so
The Toyota stuff was real nice when I worked for them at dealer level. They def took pride in the cranks n rods.
when I was last at Lexus rebuildingdirect injection engines because carbon on pistons and misfires. The rods had K1 stampings.

·
RED ROCKET
8,628 Posts
I cracked a few cheaper china cranks and had to swap them every 100 passes or less...finally dropped the coins for a magnum..several hundred runs and still looks brand new.1500 to 1700hp depending on class I am running.if I build a bigger engine next time is will also have a magnum..i think they are made here in the states from what I have read.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts