Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 camaro with cal tracs, split monos, and the rancho shocks. The car has single adjustable qa1 coilovers up front. Sbc, cold fusion plate, th400 with brake, and 4.10 gears on Hoosier 275 radials. What is a good starting point for pinion angle and preload adjustment? I have only had the car out once this year and I'd like to get a handle on the suspension ASAP. The shocks are at full loose on the rear and 2 clicks from full loose up front. 3250ish on the weight of the car.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Start about 4-5 clicks from loose in rear, similar in front. The cal tracs you'll have to play with some. All cars like something a little different. Mine works good with them just touching at race weight, no preload. Your results may vary!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
4 to 5 degrees Pinion Angle...

I put two flats of preload on the right rear.. not much. And just touch the preload pin on the driver side.

Good luck! ... the stuff works!!

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
It's going to be super agressive with the 4:10 out back and the T-400's first gear. Don't be surprised if you really have to dial the nitrous back a bunch to get the car to leave. Most of the radial cars around here anyway are running 3.89-4.10 with a 1.65 or 1.69 planetary set, myself included.

As far as suspension tuneup, I'd start with a bit more in the rear. Full loose is just going to slam the shit out the tire and then rebound too quickly and send it up in smoke for sure. Front shock is all going to be a question of what the car does. If it starhunts put more in them. But I'd start out with at least 3 or 4 off loose.

Cal Trac setting, start out with what Calvert suggests as a starting point. It won't be far off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here are some videos that might help

First video. Suspension is loose and you see the front lift, rear separate then break loose, characteristic of too loose shocks in rear
Full loose front and rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hRiYUkzx4

Second video. Tightened shocks up, looks like a good launch but I have to pedal it about 20 feet out.
2 clicks from loose up front, 2 clicks from full stiff in rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp5U638qC38

Third video. Tried launching it harder with same shock settings as the second video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb02AA6SdDc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Forgot to add/ask. Anyone have an approximation for how much body separation there should be in the rear? Going to go see tomorrow how far my rear end drops from ride height to having the rear end free-hanging. Doesn't look like I get much separation in the videos even with the shocks full loose. Maybe too stiff springs?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Check your rear shcks for topping out and look for 4-5" of body separation in the rear. The turbo400 first gear is going to be trouble I am going to a glide for this very reason. Also I am not a big fan of front coilover setups used with leaf springs due to the limiting they put on front suspension travel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess I should have added I'm running a 3.23 rear gear. Still, total gear ratio of 7.81 with my 2.42 first gear compared to a 'glide running a 1.80 first and 3.73 rear (6.71). I may just get into short shifting it. The second video netted a 1.46 60' shakin the tires pretty good.

I'm gettin told to launch it with more power and hit the tires softer to keep up the wheelspeed... Or somethin like that.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I get as much rear seperation as I can, typically about 4 inches. Take a look at this old vid of mine. The car is a little faster now, but this vid shows seperation of the rear better than all the rest. If you look carefully it will seperate initially then a little more as the car is about 30 or so feet out. (nitrous ramp going to 100%)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KljUIsjjXs0

We also don't get anywhere near that much wheelstand now either. But this vid was a couple years before I knew how to make it 60ft and keep the front end down.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
As someone else mentioned, check to make sure your shocks aren't topped out causing it to not seperate enough.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I bought my tranny from a buddy after Neal chance racing freshened it. I'm going to get with him and try to find out what gear set they put in for 1st gear. I think I may have to do a gear change to make this process simpler. The way it sounds, I'm going to play hell hooking this 275 radial with a th400 and 300 out of the hole. I have a controller but I'd prefer not to use it. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts