Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my truck to
Nate Kinder, just starting a new business venture "Kustom Weldfab" up in Redwood City, Ca.
The truck is getting an 8.5 4130 cage. Figured with plans to some day get deep into the 9's I'd like to be safe and legal. Already been banned from every local track until a cage goes in.
I want to run a DR with a 14.8 section width on a 12" rim and fully tuck em' under the bedsides with a nice low stance.
That resulted in a push to go 4-link for the extra room and ability to really dial in my suspension. I had already done away with the stock gas tank and fuel system so there was plenty of room do go this route.
The 4-LINK will all be 4130 with a wishbone locator and AFCO coilovers.

A couple before pics

And on to the build

Decided to ditch the factory 9 3/4 rear go 9" with a Moser M9

41 spline gun drilled axles

Aluminum case w/spool 3:83 gears

15lbs out of the tailgate

Starting to come together

Also hanging the bedsides on an aluminum frame

Just wanted to start a thread here as I will probably asking a lot of questions in the future.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More progress pics.....

The passenger side got a little kick to clear my exhaust tips

Bars went in....

Wishbone locator just about finished

Started on the C-notch with some custom designed and water jet cut plates

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote from Nate
We made the rear support bars and worked on the swingouts today. The swingouts need to curve out a bit to work with the factory seats, so we made them follow the contour of the door panels. We can't finish weld any of this stuff yet since we need to drop the cage down to paint the top of it. Up next is finishing the passenger side swingout and building a mounting bracket for a kirkey race seat. We'll be working on that this weekend.

"Got a seat bracket mostly finished to bolt a Kirkey race seat into the stock seat mounting location. We also added in some gussets around the halo to strengthen things a bit. These aren't required for an 8.50 cage, but they are a good idea. Next step is going to be dropping the cage down, fully welding the gussets, and painting the top of the cage. We can then raise it back up and start welding it to the frame and finishing it off."

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice!
Truck looks nice, Excellent work!
Thanks guys.

Here is the last of what I got so far.

The cage was lowered for paint before raising to tie into the out riggers.

C-notch just about finished

After I realized my old Bogart D-10's weren't going to work with the new axles I sold em' and went with a set of GT's

And some new tires....

And thats where we're at.
I'm also looking for opinions/suggestions on an anti-roll bar. Not sure if I really need one or not. Input welcome! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
422 Posts
If your that close and it's all apart being built, I'd do an ARB if it's in the budget. It's not gonna hurt and would be easy to integrate into what you already have going on.

Do you have any pics of your outriggers, and how your frame sits underneath? Also how your seat is tied in underneath? I'd like to see how your tying it into your frame. Looks really good, you and your boy are doing very nice work.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
damned good job!! very tasteful!! keep it up!!:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badass, I assume the stock dash will be going back in?
Yep, stock dash will be notched and re-installed.

If your that close and it's all apart being built, I'd do an ARB if it's in the budget. It's not gonna hurt and would be easy to integrate into what you already have going on.

Do you have any pics of your outriggers, and how your frame sits underneath? Also how your seat is tied in underneath? I'd like to see how your tying it into your frame. Looks really good, you and your boy are doing very nice work.
I'm looking into ARB's right now and that's part reason for this thread. I wasn't planning on it intially but the more I research setting up a 4-link the more I see them. Any advice in this area would be helpfull.
Pics of the outriggers should be along soon.
Thanks for all the good words.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Looks awesome agreed with the antiroll bar get a big one! I started a truck similiar to that.....then it ended up being this!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Are you going to have room between the seat and cab for the 1.25" cross bar/seat mount. I ended up bending mine to the contour of th cab and fitting it in a depression that was there.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
man that thing looks good keep the pics coming

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks awesome agreed with the antiroll bar get a big one! I started a truck similiar to that.....then it ended up being this!
Yeah, I was following your thread last year and got real busy at work and lost track. Most of your pics I've drooled over for hours. lol
I was recently looking for some progress pics and looks like they were deleted. Definitely one of my favorite L's and building it yourself is awesome.
As for the ARB, I'll be discussing it further with Nate.....

1 - 20 of 92 Posts