Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MoPar what else is there.
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years, California residents have worried about warnings from the U.S. Geological Survey that someday the state will be hit by a giant earthquake known as the "big one." Now the agency is warning of a new type of big one -- a "superstorm."

The USGS says California could experience what it calls the "ARkStorm Scenario," a potential meteorological pattern that could produce weather of epic proportions, including up to 10 feet of rain, extensive flooding and more than $300 billion in damage. It's estimated that one-quarter of the homes in California would be affected by some sort of flood damage in this scenario.

The goal of the analysis is not to generate fear but to prepare residents and emergency personnel for what could be the worst-case scenario from a meteorological perspective. The project is part of the National Real-Time Flood Mapping initiative to improve national flood management.

The massive ARkStorm is considered a plausible weather scenario based on previous flood records, including modern and prehistoric, along with projected climate-change projections.

Extreme weather patterns are common in California, and when established, the weather patterns often produce a nearly nonstop barrage of storms for days or weeks on end, resulting in excessive low-elevation rainfall and mountain snow in a topography especially susceptible to mudslides and flash flooding.

The hypothetical extreme scenario laid out by USGS scientists combines the effects of putting two extreme weather events that have already happened -- in January 1969 and February 1986 -- back to back.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
The massive ARkStorm is considered a plausible weather scenario based on previous flood records, including modern and prehistoric, along with projected climate-change projections.
I wasn't aware that cavemen kept records :confused: ........ The Global Warming thingie didn't work out so now these Jackasses want to justify their paychecks

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts
One can only hope, pray, and wish.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
thank God, I've been buying ocean front property in Nevada and Arizona for year's for little to no money, look's like I might make make my money back.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
The goal of the analysis is not to generate fear but to prepare residents and emergency personnel for what could be the worst-case scenario from a meteorological perspective. The project is part of the National Real-Time Flood Mapping initiative to improve national flood management.

Translation = Insurance money grab

There used to be dinosaurs out that way also.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i know a guy who works for a major insurance company on the catastrophe team he said they are predicting a major earth quake this year and has been put on alert status for california. with all freaky weather out there who knows what will happen.

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
There's been a major earthquake predicted to hit CA since i was born, There's no way to predict if & when it's going to happen, hell they have issues predicting the weather (unless it's summertime) let alone when something like a eartquake is going to happen :smt082

i know a guy who works for a major insurance company on the catastrophe team he said they are predicting a major earth quake this year and has been put on alert status for california. with all freaky weather out there who knows what will happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts