Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CA lowrider funeral procession honors Jesse Valadez, owner of "Gypsy Rose" Impala

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...ZmD9yw?docId=c38e9234155643068bb3ae8f4fe7cd25

LOS ANGELES (AP) — She was a cover girl, had a bit part in a popular '70s TV show and was an icon of car culture. "Gypsy Rose,"
an award-winning Chevy Impala admired for its elaborate floral paint job,
was known in the world of cruising lowriders as one of the most tricked-out muscle cars of a generation.

On Saturday, the pink, rose-covered ride will lead a funeral procession of lowriders through East L.A.,
behind the hearse that carries its owner to his final resting place.

Car clubs from across Southern California are expected to roll out to pay their respects to Jesse Valadez,
a founding member of the Imperial Car Club. Valadez died of colon cancer Jan. 29 at age 64.

"He loved that car. It was known as the legend of the lowriders," said his brother Armando,
63, who co-founded the Imperial Car Club with Jesse in 1964. "It was his pride and joy. It was his baby."

The first "Gypsy Rose," a 1963 Impala, was featured in the NBC sitcom "Chico and the Man,"
which brought customized cars into the national spotlight.

"'Chico and the Man' was the beginning of everything. That car opened the door for everything you see now,"
said Joe Ray, editor of Lowrider magazine. "I don't know how lowriding would be today without him, his car and that club.
He was a pioneer. The name of his car and his car club and East Los Angeles are all synonymous to me."

"We were serious competitors back in the day. But when you grow older and go back 30 years, you become friends," he said.
"You realize things have changed, and you appreciate those memories and sharing them, because some people aren't around anymore."

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts
Re: CA lowrider funeral procession honors Jesse Valadez, owner of "Gypsy Rose" Impala

Damn nice car, what a shame to have died that young too

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Re: CA lowrider funeral procession honors Jesse Valadez, owner of "Gypsy Rose" Impala

def a nice car...used to be in the lowrider scene and i know a couple guys from imperial cc....RIP

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,800 Posts

I love old school chicano lowriders. Alot.

·
veritas aequitas
2,204 Posts

was known in the world of cruising lowriders as one of the most tricked-out muscle cars of a generation.

cool car for what it is and respresents, but a musclecar it never was or will be.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

cool car for what it is and respresents, but a musclecar it never was or will be.
A 409 Impala SS was pretty spunky. Tri-power 64 GTO couldn't handle one.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

THATS A 64

A 63 TOO
You need to read the attached story. The original 63 car he built was trashed beyond repair with bricks by a rival car club or “gang”. The 64 is the one he built to replace it.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,800 Posts

A 409 Impala SS was pretty spunky. Tri-power 64 GTO couldn't handle one.
It still isn't a muscle car. A muscle car is a specific genre of automobile, not just any powerful car.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It still isn't a muscle car. A muscle car is a specific genre of automobile, not just any powerful car.
Whatever. I guess if the 64 GTO is in the genera and it gets its ass spanked by a 64 Impala that isn't, the GTO is a (Not So Muscular) Muscle Car.

I bet it is a big funeral procession with a lot of nice cars. Anybody know of any video?

·
Registered
516 Posts

I would have loved to have been at the funeral procession. I know it was amazing, I have been a lowrider my whole life.

·
DON'T LIFT - JUST SHIFT
1,177 Posts

Seen the car in person and what a work of art. Love those old school lowriders. Rest in Peace Jesse Valadez

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

The Gypsy Rose is a legend. Got to see it in person a few times. My friend had the honor of pinstriping Jesse's casket. It was painted to match his car.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I have very fond memories of this car and the Imperials car club growing up in East LA. They used to bring us toys for Christmas through the church across the street from the house I grew up in. The spread they had of the Imperials CC in a '70s issue of Hot Rod was taken down the street of my childhood home. The "Gypsy Rose" is legend along with Mr. Valadez and the Imperials. May he rest in peace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts