Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....why you don't see more C5's built into strictly drag cars, or any other model for that matter.. Something I'm missing? A high mileage C5 is super cheap now, and the aero is killer for a fast 1/4er...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hell, Id tear all of it out in the rear, go big tire and a solid axle.. Strong and simple.. Up front just go with a built blown sbc on alky, an keep only the factory wiring to control the lights.. Same size as the LS1/6.. I dont remember it being crazy tight up front on my 02Z, but that was a long time ago too..

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Remember the trans is in the back
Go C4 if you're just going to gut it and straight axle it. Cheaper and already laid out right.
I keep trying to tell people that the C4 is the new fox body. There are a shitload of them out there that are really cheap, they are still setup with front engine/trans design and you can stuff an LS and basically any GM auto trans into them really easy. Strip them out and they can be fairly light for a drag car too. They are really low to the ground, 1" shorter than the C5, and they have a really small frontal area of about 19.4 sq ft as compared to the C5 which is 2 inches wider and has a frontal area of 22 sq ft.

My little 84 C4 is a fun street car. I have it down in the 2850 lb area and it's just a simple junkyard type 6.0 w/ LS3 heads swap with about 500 chp. Don't know if I will ever invest enough into the D44 IRS rear end to make it into the 10s but she has the mph for it. She runs low to mid 120s in the quarter and rolls much harder than that on the street.

·
Señor Member
29,652 Posts

·
Señor Member
29,652 Posts

It's a lil quicker now...but still IRS

·
Registered
19,888 Posts
I keep trying to tell people that the C4 is the new fox body. There are a shitload of them out there that are really cheap, they are still setup with front engine/trans design and you can stuff an LS and basically any GM auto trans into them really easy. Strip them out and they can be fairly light for a drag car too. They are really low to the ground, 1" shorter than the C5, and they have a really small frontal area of about 19.4 sq ft as compared to the C5 which is 2 inches wider and has a frontal area of 22 sq ft.

My little 84 C4 is a fun street car. I have it down in the 2850 lb area and it's just a simple junkyard type 6.0 w/ LS3 heads swap with about 500 chp. Don't know if I will ever invest enough into the D44 IRS rear end to make it into the 10s but she has the mph for it. She runs low to mid 120s in the quarter and rolls much harder than that on the street.
I've owned this one for 23 years lol.

20141229_1417441.jpg

·
Señor Member
29,652 Posts

Reactions: HotRod Junkie

·
Registered
665 Posts

I hate to disagree, but everyone when I went to high school wanted a Fox, Z, or Trans Am.

C4 vettes were an old man's car. All the way up to 1972 'vettes were/are cool, and then duds until the C5's. Of course there are exceptions such as the Callaway, ZR1, etc. The new ones are sexy as hell.

I even had a mint '92 black on black 'vette, had the same round ass as the the earlier ZR1's and the first year of LT1, but I only had it for about a month because I took it on partial trade for my '49 Chevy pickup and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

I am not saying they are ugly or not cool, but I disagree they will ever be the new fox body.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts