Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C4 with around 70-75 passes at most in the mid 11sec range. MPH dropped off a tad to rpm through traps. So I send my converter to get cut open and cleaned/checked. Man calls says some of the impellar blades are laid over. OK why, well cavitation is the only thing that can cause this. Ok I take my trans to a well known builder and ask if they can check for a possible cavitation issue (Pump) Yeah no problem, whats the cost, minimal wont take long to get it apart. Ok, I get a call saying nothing wrong with the trans it looks great and no issues at all. Ok cool how much ? well with the new clutches,steels,bands,gaskets your looking at $600. I didnt ask for a rebuild and was told the trans looked great. Thats a tad more then I was ready for and seems high. looks lke labor is about $200 an hour.......:-damnit
I can uderstand if it needed it but just for the sake of doing it no.

·
Registered
144 Posts
really, i don't think thats not to bad. even if there was nothing wrong, u just don't throw a few parts at it put it back together. one thing i learned is get in and stay in
with your tranny guy, providing he is good.

Roger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A day after and I think Im cool now.Just got sticker shock I guess. It did have some time on it even if it wasnt what most have befor a freshen up. It will be done and wont have to worry.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Anytime you pull the tranny for issues its always best to freshen it up. Think about the effort it takes to r&r the tranny at home. If you got it out might as well go through it just to be safe. Also, being that the converter was hurt it was good insurance to make sure no shrapnel worked its way into the system. I would also recommend flushing the cooler lines and the cooler. Its like building a new motor and putting on a used filter. Some shit will find its way into the case and ruin your day.
Also, does your trans guy have a dyno? We dyno test all the units we build before shipping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, does your trans guy have a dyno? We dyno test all the units we build before shipping.
I didnt see one but Im sure they would have one being one of the largest Race Trans builders in the country. I flushed the cooler and lines real good the other day. Im sure I would have kicked myself in the ass later if I didnt let them rebuild it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts