3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car info 1962 falcon
Ladderbar-coil overs
418w stock block
28x10.5 slick---
3020lbs per class rule
4.56 gears

Make the switch from a nice built c4, to a glide, with the c4 best car ran was [email protected] in 1\4 shifting at 6500rpm, and xrossing the line at 7500rpm with a ton of 10.00 passes...in the 1\8 mile with the c4 best 6.28 @107mph...60 ft of 1.36...best et with 2step at 3200 rpm...all those times was in weather of 80-83 air temp with air density of 1100 ft or less(early june)

Power glide
Air temp 95-98 degrees and air density 2600+ ft for every pass..so far 60ft is 1.38 best with 2step at 4800...has a 5500 converter...1/4mile et best is [email protected] cross line 7000rpm...1/8 time best is 6.34 at 108mph...

No dought with the same air it will be a good 1-2 tenths faster, i should have made the switch years ago, 1st time out i won the all motor class

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Question... Why was it crossing the line at 7500 rpm with the C4, and only 7000 with the glide?
Same shift point for the glide?
What converter in the C4?
Did you change the rear gear?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question... Why was it crossing the line at 7500 rpm with the C4, and only 7000 with the glide?
Same shift point for the glide?
What converter in the C4?
Did you change the rear gear?
Thanks
Shift with the c4 6500-6700 range
Shift with glide 7000-7100
No i kept same 4.56 gear
5500 converter in c4

·
Registered
848 Posts
Good to hear. Thanks for the follow up.

I made a similar switch (TH350 - 1800 RPM footbrake leave to built/aftermarket case glide with transbrake). What all motor class were you running? Rules? Sounds like something I could be interested in occasionally, rules permitting.

Jason G.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice! I went from an AOD to a glide in my heavy-ass street car and ran 9.80's. No solid back to back data in my case, but there's no way in hell I'm going back. I drive to the track with 3.08 gears and race it that way - it leaves harder than with the AOD (and that had 3.73s and a lockup converter - which actually kind of sucked - too much drop between 2-3 gear shift) and it's more driveable than the AOD was too. I'm at 3,500 lbs, btw. You've got on helluva a good ET for your MPH. That thing is working!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Nice! I went from an AOD to a glide in my heavy-ass street car and ran 9.80's. No solid back to back data in my case, but there's no way in hell I'm going back. I drive to the track with 3.08 gears and race it that way - it leaves harder than with the AOD (and that had 3.73s and a lockup converter - which actually kind of sucked - too much drop between 2-3 gear shift) and it's more driveable than the AOD was too. I'm at 3,500 lbs, btw. You've got on helluva a good ET for your MPH. That thing is working!
What's the stall difference and what makes the glide more driveable?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear. Thanks for the follow up.

I made a similar switch (TH350 - 1800 RPM footbrake leave to built/aftermarket case glide with transbrake). What all motor class were you running? Rules? Sounds like something I could be interested in occasionally, rules permitting.

Jason G.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
As for those rules at the bottom concerning induction... If you run a carb, it has to be a single 4150 style... but ANY EFI is allowed? Dang, I'd show up with a dual quad EFI on a tunnel ram and watch them freak out. lol

As for your Falcon C4 vs Glide... Did you trying shifting the C4 at 7k like you did with the Glide?
Any idea why it's crossing the line at 7500 rpm with the C4 and 7000 with the glide while using the same rear gear?

Thanks, and Nice Car!!

Reactions: taj362

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
A friend of mine was running a glide on a high rpm 302. Switched to a TH-400 and picked up. Was faster than the glide first pass, and picked up more with tuning and chassis adjustments.

And while I'm sure that the low torque of a high rpm 302 benefited from the lower first gear and closer gear ratios, it just shows that the glide isn't always the best option.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for those rules at the bottom concerning induction... If you run a carb, it has to be a single 4150 style... but ANY EFI is allowed? Dang, I'd show up with a dual quad EFI on a tunnel ram and watch them freak out. lol

As for your Falcon C4 vs Glide... Did you trying shifting the C4 at 7k like you did with the Glide?
Any idea why it's crossing the line at 7500 rpm with the C4 and 7000 with the glide while using the same rear gear?

Thanks, and Nice Car!!
With c4 i tried 6500...to 7500 in 100rpm increments...6500 was best..guess with glide crossing lower is because i shift higher which puts the car down track farther so less room to get to 7500..

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks for the details on the class. Didn’t realize it was stock block. Puts me out. Cool to see a N/A class though. Not many places to compete N/A.

Jason

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Is that stock block class a heads up class? I’d bet there would be some gains to be had with a stick trans..

·
Registered
848 Posts
John,

Congrats on your 3 wins in a row. That is a really cool class. I found myself looking for stock blocks over the weekend! If it weren't such a long drive (5+ hours to Tulsa is the closest track to me) it would be a no brainer to join you guys.

Jason G.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John,

Congrats on your 3 wins in a row. That is a really cool class. I found myself looking for stock blocks over the weekend! If it weren't such a long drive (5+ hours to Tulsa is the closest track to me) it would be a no brainer to join you guys.

Jason G.
Thanks, car went 6.28 too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts