Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a c4 behind a 800 hp 410 (on spray) and have had a problem almost every pass after I go into 3rd gear the car starts smoking. Fluid level is rite according to the stick, I'm assuming it's coming from the vent on top of the case. This leak is a hard one to chase down due to it happening at wot under a load, the trans has always had a slight flare on 1-2 and 2-3, it was really bad with the tci manual vb, went to a pa and got better, still slightly there. I need to put a bigger trans cooler on it that I have, it has a 4200 conv and tci servo pa rev man valve body, let me know where to start, thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
I have a c4 behind a 800 hp 410 (on spray) and have had a problem almost every pass after I go into 3rd gear the car starts smoking. Fluid level is rite according to the stick, I'm assuming it's coming from the vent on top of the case. This leak is a hard one to chase down due to it happening at wot under a load, the trans has always had a slight flare on 1-2 and 2-3, it was really bad with the tci manual vb, went to a pa and got better, still slightly there. I need to put a bigger trans cooler on it that I have, it has a 4200 conv and tci servo pa rev man valve body, let me know where to start, thanks in advance
usually it is a little too full, it will purge itself out after a few passes.

I hate the flare also, I found that making the end play in the unit as tight as .005 helps quicken the shift also.

Never had a flare on the 1-2 shift.

drum clearence also has a factor on the shift feel.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any wAy to cheat the clearance, maybe the band adjustment too loose ? I don't know a ton bout trans, it's been pushing fluid for a while, just got the car back together, but the 8 passes I made on it she is still smoking top end. I am assuming it is the vent leaking, because I can't make it "smoke/leak" riding around

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's it , tap a 1/8 thread and a fitting at the breather to a catch can .

Make sure the oil level is ok , the full mark on the dipstick at or just above the pan rail .

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I had a C4 RPM seemed to cause the leak.
We tapped the vent hole and put a catch can on the fire wall.
No more leak.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
What they said. Vented catch can on firewall. I have the little one and attached the hose from the trans to the DRAIN on the bottom. When it pushes fluid out, it goes into the can. After the run, it just drains back down into the trans. Make sure you don't have any droops in your hose that can trap fluid. I don't know what causes it to push the fluid out in the first place. But you're not going to stop it. Just give it somewhere to go. Good luck !

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
I have been running a catch can for years also....I ran mine up on the inside fender well... The C4 will always get sick and puke on the high end if you put over 7-8 qt's in .... I ran 7 for the past 40 years but put 8 in the last build of my own...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a catch can also a Tci that bolts onto the back of the pan . I've never got anything in it tho like said before level is 1/4 above pan rail. I don't run mine over 8000 rpm either must take big rpm for it to blow out. I always use type f fluid I've heard that some of the synthetic fluid will do this I don't know?

·
Registered
875 Posts
What they said. Vented catch can on firewall. I have the little one and attached the hose from the trans to the DRAIN on the bottom. When it pushes fluid out, it goes into the can. After the run, it just drains back down into the trans. Make sure you don't have any droops in your hose that can trap fluid. I don't know what causes it to push the fluid out in the first place. But you're not going to stop it. Just give it somewhere to go. Good luck !
It's funny , some will puke a little , others never :confused:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help, I found that my speedo cable seemed to be leaking a little, cable melted on the header years ago, so I took the gear off,going to put a 7/8 freeze plug in her tonite and see if it stops next trip at the track, I will put a catch can on her next time I drop the tranny, seems to be a pain to get the vent out in the car

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's funny , some will puke a little , others never :confused:
It sure is! I can have mine a quart over and it doesn't puke with 72-7300 shift points but my buddies with less oil will puke with a 6000rpm rev limit.

I'm glad you mentioned this, I've been scratching my head as to why.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the help, I found that my speedo cable seemed to be leaking a little, cable melted on the header years ago, so I took the gear off,going to put a 7/8 freeze plug in her tonite and see if it stops next trip at the track, I will put a catch can on her next time I drop the tranny, seems to be a pain to get the vent out in the car
What I did was just slip a rubber hose over it with a clamp then ream the hose up to the catch can.

Then when I dropped the teams we tapped the home for a fitting.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yup catch can . that flair would bother me . them little clutches are not going to like that for long .. you have a fine or corse thread band adjustment ? and as someone mentioned tighten it up keep in mind there is 2 selectible washers in there one at the tip of the pump and the other is in the usual location

the one at the tip is for forward/1st the other plastic one is for direct . if the forward drum is rollerized you can run them tighter than the book says i liked the forward .008-.010 and the direct .012-.015 always did well for me .. but a couple flairs and its going to puke fluid regardless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts