Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a firearm only because of kids in the house ....... The youngest is going off to College and I want to get a piece(hand gun) ........ I have a firing range a mile from my house and am close to Police that will work with me .......

My Question is:

What is the easiest to shoot straight ....... easiest to maintain ......... does the most damage for the buck?

THANKS in advance

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
I have never owned a firearm only because of kids in the house ....... The youngest is going off to College and I want to get a piece(hand gun) ........ I have a firing range a mile from my house and am close to Police that will work with me .......

My Question is:

What is the easiest to shoot straight ....... easiest to maintain ......... does the most damage for the buck?

THANKS in advance
Only you can decide what's the easiest for you to shoot. Some people prefer .45ACP to .40 S&W, and sometimes the opposite is true. Same goes for pistol models. Some (me) love the Glock grip angle - some hate it. Some love the Springfield XD grip angle, some hate it. You've gotta try before you buy and see what YOU like.

9mm is regarded as the minimum caliber for effective self-defense, because it just passes the FBI's 12-inches-of-ballistic-gelatin penetration testing.

Considering modern projectile design, as long as you use premium ammo, you'll be good there. And as long as you stick to one of the major manufacturers and get a pistol you like, and practice with it, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told Glocks have issues and require a lot of maintance ........ I know nothing of this so I'm like a women in a car dealership :confused:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Almost every police force in the country uses a Glock. They like most guns require very little service (Cleaning). In fact unless your going to visit the gun range weekly your going to shoot the gun when you first purchase it and like most start carrying it. It really depends on what you want to do with the gun. If it's just personal protection around the house you can't go wrong with a revolver. If you plan to carry then look into the plastic guns like a Glock. They have high magazine capacities and do weight much.

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
I've been told Glocks have issues and require a lot of maintance ........ I know nothing of this so I'm like a women in a car dealership :confused:
Dude - that is so far off base... please smack whoever told you that.

Read this and get back to me: http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

- 150,000 rounds
- 15,000 rounds without cleaning
- Dropped from an airplane
- Buried in sand
- Buried in soil
- Buried in baby powder
- Buried in mud
- Buried in baby powder and water paste
- Sat overnight in salt-water
- Shot with a .22
- Run over with a truck
- Dragged from a truck bumper

And still running.

Whether you subjectively like or dislike Glocks, no one can EVER try to attack the utter reliability and ability to always go bang of a Glock.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yea I'm with ya, if I want a plastic gun I'll buy a Mattel. Get one of them ugly trigger guns, better yet go to your local shop and introduce your self and start the process, pump that local economy with some money.

·
102,312 Posts
First off don't call it a piece. You're not trying to fuck it. Now that I got that out of my system here goes.

If you are good friends with those cops, see if they will let you take their guns for a test shoot. Some probably carry .40's and some probably carry .357 in sig round, and then you have the 9mm.

Go to a gun store(notice it is not called a piece store) ask to hold a few and see which one feels comfortable. Try a few waist band holsters and see which one is comfortable. They won't really get comfortable until you have worn them a few times.

Fire as many rounds you can in the stopping power category .357 Sig, 40, and 45. I personally won't carry a 9mm.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
For a new shooter, I wouldn't get a Glock.. IMO they can be fired accidentally easier than most..

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Not as long as you keep your booger-hook off the bang switch.

If someone hasn't mastered keeping their finger out of the trigger guard, then they probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm.
Well said and true.

·
102,312 Posts
If its your first gun, get a revolver.
Good advice.

However remember this. If you get a CCW permit, test with a semi-auto. That way you can carry either one. If you test with a revolver, that's all you can carry.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Good advice.

However remember this. If you get a CCW permit, test with a semi-auto. That way you can carry either one. If you test with a revolver, that's all you can carry.
This is some fucked up bullshit. Both of these type guns operate totally different. If you must "test" with one to be able to carry it, why would you not have to test with both to be able to carry both. This makes no sense at all.

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
Jimmy, look around and find some local forums to join.

Read, read and then read some more.

http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php

Then go to the range with someone whos versed in guns and rent a few.

The ONLY way to know if you will like shooting a gun is to shoot it.

Hey OC, is that a MD rule? We dont have that in Mi

Once you have purchased the gun...shoot and shoot often.

Maybe take a local handgun class.

These are some of the tools you will need to be a smart gun owner.

edit:
looks like MD is not a shall issue state, you might be boned on the concealed carry issue

http://www.usacarry.com/maryland_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

·
Registered
678 Posts
Some good advice has been stated. Revolvers are good for a first handgun. Look at S & W or Ruger in a 5 shoot model. Great for CCW carry, easy to hide. Get the 357 magnum model so you can shoot either 357 or 38 Specials + p's ( Magnum have better frame strengh). Heavy frames are easier to control with full house hot loads. Colt makes a fine revolver (it's just TOO much money). Semi-auto pistols there are many to choose from. Don't buy anything smaller then a 9mm caliber. I'm a 45acp type as far that goes. 40's, 357 sig and 10mm all will do too. As far as brands everyone has their personal choices. I shoot Glocks : the model 21 and 30 SF which are 45acp. They just work. The XDm's, Sig's, Kimbers, Colts, Para's and S&W auto's are all fine handgun too. This where YOU need to try them out and compare them. The gun needs to fit and feel good to you. It must be easy to bring to bear, aim and fire on target. Make sure YOU do this test shooting more then just once, do combat reloading drills and stoppage cleaning drills too. Get some training from a NRA instructor if possible and practice. The training and practice as much as you can with the ammo that plan to use for defense. Take the your time on this, never rush to buy one, get the right gun the first time. Your second gun will be coming soon, one is never enough.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Good advice.

In Missouri, you have to show proficiency with both.. Including clearing a jammed round..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts