Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking into a turbo, and ran across the s480. good size, great price, the only problem is i am getting a lot of mixed reviews about them. some seem to love them, others hate them. can anyone who actually used one of these turbo's give some input please? is a garrett that much better? and what makes it better?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I love mine!! s480 is 80mm, but you can get the s400 series turbos in many different sizes. I had and still have an older Garrett tv8301, 80mm, that was on the car. Car made great power with it, but I went with the Bullseye s480 with race cover and love it!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
i have used the s480's ive had nothing but good luck with them. right now i have twin s480s on a bbc. havent got it finished yet. should be done by the end of summer i hope.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heard they don't make any power, only last a few months. pack pressure problems, which i didn't understand. pack pressure is a plumbing problem isn't it?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Good units for the money, but no magic about them like advertised by some companies. And no the BW480 will not flow the same as a GT47-88. lol. The flow is 119lbs/min with the race cover. Same as the GT47-80mm as well. The latest version is the larger comp wheel 82 which still only flows 126lbs/min.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am looking for a turbo that will be nice on the street. i am more concerned about it spooling quickly then power. i am only looking to make 700hp if that. but i want it to be responsive.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i am looking for a turbo that will be nice on the street. i am more concerned about it spooling quickly then power. i am only looking to make 700hp if that. but i want it to be responsive.
What size motor are you running??

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Go to, Turbo Forums, look under Dyno Results-Track Times 2nd page for A Little S480 Testing From Roozter DVX . I know this car well, no trans brake,t400,331sbf not leaning on it went 5.81 at 122mph

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
DrTurbo said:
Good units for the money, but no magic about them like advertised by some companies. And no the BW480 will not flow the same as a GT47-88. lol. The flow is 119lbs/min with the race cover. Same as the GT47-80mm as well.
Absolutely the truth. For the money, the Borg Warner stuff continues to impress me. Borg Warner/Airwerks is a conglomeration of turbocharger companies bought in the mid 90's. Triple-K and Schwitzer are where these turbo designs came from. Lately however, BW has been doing some grassroots designs and I think they're on the right track.
Not a bad turbo for the money. We can get 'em too. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats why i was looking into them, you can find them brand new for $500-$600 or less. thats 1/4 the cost of a gt4788. matt can you pm me a price on a s480 and s488 please.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
a dude in my hood has a 383 with blow through and a air to air cooler and a s480 80mm turbo on a early 90 silverado and it ran 9.90's and pulls the bass boat to the lake.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well said Matt. But show me a 1300HP turbo from China, Or southern California(aka) you know who,less than 25 miles from USA that can deliver those numbers. Oh thats right, there isn't any. If one thing I learned after 18,000 rebuids is that if it starts with a t and ends with a V's its more then likely overseas junk. Call pt and ask them why Garrrrrrrrt droped them. Got busted building all there junk using parts from China. Sure explains the high failure. I have a friend who was a tech for them. They build more warranty's than new. How shocking

1 - 20 of 25 Posts