Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lot of talk and thoughts on what and how it will work but this thread will give my results on what i see on my data.

the engine :
383 ci chevy factory hyd roller block 4 bolt mains with standard caps
out of the box older dart 200cc heads with screw in studs 2.08 valves
comp cams factory replacement hyd roller lifters
comp cams roller rockers
srp 8.9cr pistons with the fire ring moved down
crower sportsman rods
eagle crank
bullet cam 238 @ .050 and 530 lift on a 114 installed at 110
i plan on shifting at 6000 but missing the shift to 6500 rev limiter

mallory 6 box
PCS boost controller and dash loger
FAST classic box
160lbs injectors
90mm T body
holley intake with injector bungs made into the intake

the car:
3500lbs
air to water
th350 with brake
315 radial
4.10 gear
dana 60
caltracks
true stock suspention from 1974 up front
rear is calvert single leaf 1" drop and 2" lowering blocks

turbo:
BW 80mm intake 83mm ext 1.10 a/r t6 flange with race cover

headers/piping:

upside down patriot performance shorty header 139.00 from summit
and 2.5 90's from parts store
4" exh behind the front tire

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the first thing i see is the air intake temp crazy high. i set the boost controller to 8lbs and hit the 3500 two step in 1.5 seconds and the air temp is 175*
moved the boost controller to 14lbs and the same two step air temp was 200*
just for the hell of it moved the 2 step up to 4000 and turned up the boost and made 27lbs on a 4000 two step in 3 seconds and 240*

last year i was blow thru and after a 1/8 mile pass it was onl;y 175* so the air to water must go in the car.
why is it so different?
the carb was fat and slower to spool vs the EFI is just bad azz right up on boost since i have it leaned out and timing exact where i need it so the same converter i ran last year it way too loose for the new power it makes down low which will mean i need to change rear gear and possible put in a glide i have to work the numbers.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I think he said he has a air to water? Those inlet temps are very high for that short time.
He said the water to air had to go in....so I'm assuming he hasn't installed it yet???? Dunno... :smt102

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well the first question I have for you is did you let everything cool down after each 2 step???

Because if you did, then you have a serious problem. Going from ambient temp to 175* in 1.5 seconds is insane!!!

What are your EGTs and Air/Fuel looking like when you 2 step?

Also how much timing are you retarding???

·
Registered
24,391 Posts
Here is a graph of a run I made . It shows rpm , and temps before and after intercooler on my S480 1.10ar 83mm turbine .

This is obviously after the burnout . Pre cooler temps are already 150º on the footbrake at 2600rpm . They are 175º by the time I let go of the t-brake at 3500rpm .

This is in May , 90º weather , water to air . No precooling .

Intercooler is taking 220º out of the air temp at the stripe .

·
Registered
407 Posts
My setup is same exact turbos but twins. 26psi and at the end of the pass IAT is 175 measured in the intake manifold on the #8 runner. Twin ebay liquid/air intercoolers with no pre-cooling. I assume the measurement is from heat soak in the intake. I will be measuring pre and post IC next season.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am installing the intercooler after seeing the intake temp.

the engine was cool 145* water temp

afr is fine and timing is fine and fuel is sunoco 116

the set up last year was a blow thru and air temp was in the hat right above the carb it is now in the elbow and will be in the aluminum tubing this weekend.

the data logger and FAST have different temp sensors at different locations and are within 5*

the cam last year was a blower cam and this cam i was told would spin the hell out of the turbo.

i am not complaining about anything just listing what i see since there are only thoughts and no hard facts.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i am installing the intercooler after seeing the intake temp.

the engine was cool 145* water temp

afr is fine and timing is fine and fuel is sunoco 116

the set up last year was a blow thru and air temp was in the hat right above the carb it is now in the elbow and will be in the aluminum tubing this weekend.

the data logger and FAST have different temp sensors at different locations and are within 5*

the cam last year was a blower cam and this cam i was told would spin the hell out of the turbo.

i am not complaining about anything just listing what i see since there are only thoughts and no hard facts.
Ahh so no intercooler before. Makes sense now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a FYI but I would be willing to put money on it that your backpressure is through the roof. I have a S475SX 83mm 1.0 hotside and a more mild combo. At 12 psi I have over 35 psi bacpressure. It limited my RPM and HP potential. Mine will rev to 6500 but with all that backpressure it is way down in power.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
i think i would have done the 96mm 1.32 instead. oh wait i did lol might help but i dont think its your whole problem

·
Registered
24,391 Posts
Just a FYI but I would be willing to put money on it that your backpressure is through the roof. I have a S475SX 83mm 1.0 hotside and a more mild combo. At 12 psi I have over 35 psi bacpressure. It limited my RPM and HP potential. Mine will rev to 6500 but with all that backpressure it is way down in power.

I cant believe it made 27psi , let alone on the 2 step .

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

Sounds like you need the 87mm or 92mm turbine wheel with that 1.0A/R housing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh yeah I certainly do and I figure with his being a more agressive combo it might even be worse. I would love to try a 92mm turbine but I can go faster than I can stay legal for anyways. It is just something alot of people overlook.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts