Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car melted a couple pistons in the stock 302 block, and I'm leaning towards building a DART block setup. If I go that route, why not boost it right? I'm been missing my old turbo car lately...

Combo would be a 347" sbf, AFR185 heads, TFS R intake, custom hotside kit. Street driven with AC and PS. Mostly would keep boost at 7-10psi for daily driving and turn it up for track events.

Using the borg warner matchbot, for a twin setup(Believe these will be easier to package and run the exhaust out the back than a big single) the little 62mm units look good all the way from 10psi up to over 20psi, but I'm falling off the map at 7psi. The 66mm units look good everywhere in that range. I was thinking of using the 0.91ar T4 twin scroll housing for either unit, any other recommendations?

Is there any reason to go with the 62mm over the 66s? I assume spool time will be a tiny bit slower but nothing major?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don’t think the compressor size is gonna be the problem. It’s the large turbine. I have twin 72mm on a 383 sbf stroker. It takes me longer to spool these. Then it did one large single and I have v band turbine housings I believe their .81

My recommendation is to find a turbo with mid 60s turbine wheels

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size turbine wheel do you have? What rpm is it spooled by?

·
Registered
295 Posts
https://www.theboostlab.com/s372sx-e-supercore-80-74mm-turbine-wheel/

I have the s372sx-e turbos they have a 73/80 turbine. I have a 3600 stall ptc converter that’s really tight. I launch at 35-3600 and get maybe 5 psi. If I wait longer I can get a few more psi but then my tranny gets hot this is with a c4 I built. It made 1285hp on the dyno. If I rev this little *itch to 4500 it will gain 10-11 psi but our track won’t hold that.

I am now moving to a glide with a spool valve to see if it helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like if I stay below 65mm on the s300s there is a 76/68mm turbine, instead of the 80/74. I'll look around for some other units and see what kind of turbine options there are. Thanks for the info Joe.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Well my car melted a couple pistons in the stock 302 block, and I'm leaning towards building a DART block setup. If I go that route, why not boost it right? I'm been missing my old turbo car lately...

Combo would be a 347" sbf, AFR185 heads, TFS R intake, custom hotside kit. Street driven with AC and PS. Mostly would keep boost at 7-10psi for daily driving and turn it up for track events.

Using the borg warner matchbot, for a twin setup(Believe these will be easier to package and run the exhaust out the back than a big single) the little 62mm units look good all the way from 10psi up to over 20psi, but I'm falling off the map at 7psi. The 66mm units look good everywhere in that range. I was thinking of using the 0.91ar T4 twin scroll housing for either unit, any other recommendations?

Is there any reason to go with the 62mm over the 66s? I assume spool time will be a tiny bit slower but nothing major?
What are your goals ?

And do you have a pair at the minute ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't bought anything yet. Still need to get a shortblock built before I do. No hard goals, it should easily make over 500rwhp on the street at low boost which will be plenty. I'll have to pick an upper limit, any decent sized twins will support 1000hp but the rest of the car isn't built for that now. I'd probably be capping myself at 700rwhp realistically, small part of me says shoot for the 1000hp club on a glory pass ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts