Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Buying a timing light

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  stiverson 
#1 ·
Need to purchase a new timing light. What's out there offering the best bang for your buck ?

#2 ·
WHAT IGNITION SYSTEM YOU RUNNING ??

THAT WILL HAVE A HUGE INFLUENCE ON WHAT WILL BE RECOMMENED.

SEE THREAD IN NATURALLY ASPIRARED SECTION - STARTED BY CHAD SPEIR.

I HAVE PERSONALLY GOT BOTH MSD VERSIONS OF TIMING LIGHT ALONG WITH A SNAP ON MT2261 PLUS SOME MAC AND MATCO ONES TOO.

I HAVE BEEN USING THE SNAP ON WITH ANALOG 6AL AND ANYTHING POINTS ACTIVATED OLD STYLE NON CDI.

WHEN I UPGRADED TO MSD 7AL I NOW JUST USE THE SELF POWERED UNIT.

HOPE THIS SHEDS SOME LIGHT ON THE SITUATION.

CHEERS

#6 ·
SEE THREAD IN NATURALLY ASPIRARED SECTION - STARTED BY CHAD SPEIR.

HOPE THIS SHEDS SOME LIGHT ON THE SITUATION.

CHEERS
Hey cut the guy some slack!

He has a Studebaker. :p

#11 ·

Used all kinds of fancy lights, went back to my old 20+ year old Craftsmen, with NO DIAL!!!!!!!!!!

Digital, dial, etc would always fail at some point. Same old Sears still going strong!!!!

#12 ·
I have the digital Actron. It will show rpm, is switchable for 2 or 4 cycle, has a flashlight mode and can be used as a dial-back. I just leave it on zero.

#16 ·
Works great! And I like the quick disconnect spark plug induction, ask me why?!? I did the dumb thing and burned it, but a new one was like $15.00 or so, I ordered 2! And I liked it so much I bought a Ferret digital dial with tach and dwell, also does 2 stroke among other things. Great for my antique cars to tune.

#21 ·

That's a good tip, I always use a small 12v lawnmower, motorcycle battery instead of the 16v car power.
Which as mentioned, some of us have no choice, there is no open power anyway on my T/S car unlike my other cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.