Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I was always under the impression that transfer of a handgun needed to go from a FFL to a FFL when shipping from out of state. Does this depend on the state or just the receiving dealer? The reason I ask is I recently purchased one online and the seller (not a FFL) told me in the past he has requested a fax of the FFL of the receiver and enclosed a copy of his CHL and driver license and shipped them himself. I haven't talked to my dealer yet but I don't think that will fly with him. Maybe it's a just a NY thing? Wondering others experiences are. Thanks!

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
Quick question. I was always under the impression that transfer of a handgun needed to go from a FFL to a FFL when shipping from out of state. Does this depend on the state or just the receiving dealer? The reason I ask is I recently purchased one online and the seller (not a FFL) told me in the past he has requested a fax of the FFL of the receiver and enclosed a copy of his CHL and driver license and shipped them himself. I haven't talked to my dealer yet but I don't think that will fly with him. Maybe it's a just a NY thing? Wondering others experiences are. Thanks!
that the way i got my 1911. i am not sure about ny. but its ok in fl.

·
102,312 Posts
I bought my Wilson 1996A2 and my 1911 from Wilson Combat in Arkansas. I had to have them shipped to a dealer and was charged a small fee but after buying two handguns from Wilson, anything is a small fee :-D

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The last one I bought on-line was from a dealer. My dealer charges $30 to put them though his books as a FFL. I'm just not sure if he will accept from a non-dealer. I'll check with him tomorrow. BTW, it's coming up here from your way OC, coming from TX :p

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thanks guys. The last one I bought on-line was from a dealer. My dealer charges $30 to put them though his books as a FFL. I'm just not sure if he will accept from a non-dealer. I'll check with him tomorrow. BTW, it's coming up here from your way OC, coming from TX :p
Pretty sure he can ship it right to your FFL no problem, the burden is on him to make sure the gun goes to a legit dealer. I think handguns need to be shipped airmail as well.

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure he can ship it right to your FFL no problem, the burden is on him to make sure the gun goes to a legit dealer. I think handguns need to be shipped airmail as well.
Well I know in NY we can't ship them out ourselves. :( Every hand gun we own must be on your permit, that's make, model, caliber and SN#. To remove them from your permit you need to turn them into a dealer or sell them to a NY permit holder. You need a "received from" recite from a dealer or individual to remove them from your permit. You also need a green card from the sheriff that you give to the dealer (or individual) when that firearm has been added to your permit and is OK to pick up.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Well I know in NY we can't ship them out ourselves. :( Every hand gun we own must be on your permit, that's make, model, caliber and SN#. To remove them from your permit you need to turn them into a dealer or sell them to a NY permit holder. You need a "received from" recite from a dealer or individual to remove them from your permit. You also need a green card from the sheriff that you give to the dealer (or individual) when that firearm has been added to your permit and is OK to pick up.
Yea I have a friend upstate, he told me all about that mess. You guys are even worse off than us..... Doesn't seem to cut down on crime, it's just a pain in the ass for the good guys.

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, this is getting irritating... 2 local dealers will only receive from FFL dealers and the seller checked with 2 dealers that won't ship to the people's republic of NY :(

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
OK, this is getting irritating... 2 local dealers will only receive from FFL dealers and the seller checked with 2 dealers that won't ship to the people's republic of NY :(
that sucks. do you have a gander mountain up there? some on here said they do ffl transfers. they might be able to get it done.

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that sucks. do you have a gander mountain up there? some on here said they do ffl transfers. they might be able to get it done.
Thanks for the idea, I just called them, no deal from an individual. Their price is sky high for the transfer and he thought it was a fed law that that needed to go from an FFL to an FFL when crossing state lines. I would not be surprised if it was a state thing because many people said they have sent them to a FFL dealer with no problems. This is why there should be federal regulations on this stuff.. then at least it would be consistent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts