Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the market and finding nothing under a 100k for mileage.
im looking at the 2004-2006 dodge 3500 2wd. so is that really high for theses trucks? and can you guys tell me what to look for.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Awesome trucks. But be ready to put a new clutch and flywheel in a 6 spd by 150,000. I have changed a few. The have a 2 piece flywheel and the springs get weak so you get a horrible vibration. Ypu can get a volare kit with a solid flywheel and everything for bout a grand. 2006 models put out the most power stock. Head is a little different. But they all run good.

·
Confused Racer
41,925 Posts
I bought a 06 3500 2wheel dually mega cab last year with 85k on it. love it and it runs great. I found it in texas

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a 06 3500 2wheel dually mega cab last year with 85k on it. love it and it runs great. I found it in texas
im looking at automatics and it seems there is alot of good deal in texas......my concern was the mileage, but it seems as long as u keep up with trannt maitnance u will be fine.

·
In the Beams.
21,997 Posts
Make sure you test drive & make sure the tranny is ok , but a well maintained Cummins motor will last 300-400 thousand miles and beyond ...

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,140 Posts
we have 2 an 03 with a 6 speed and a 07.5 6 speed auto ..... they are great ,... also have a 36t RV with a cummins isb 5.9 .....nothing better

·
Confused Racer
41,925 Posts
im looking at automatics and it seems there is alot of good deal in texas......my concern was the mileage, but it seems as long as u keep up with trannt maitnance u will be fine.

I took it right to my trans shop and had him do a service and a couple of mods to it. I put a programmer in it and its great. I bought it from a dealer but it was a one owner. If you do buy one get the service records from dodge to see if it was abused.

·
Cowboy up
1,690 Posts
Great trucks/motors. I have a friend that has 600 some odd thousand miles on his 94 reg cab 5spd 2wd, been used as a ranch truck its whole life. Just put a new head gasket in it with a new wastegate spring and good as new!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Awesome trucks. But be ready to put a new clutch and flywheel in a 6 spd by 150,000. I have changed a few. The have a 2 piece flywheel and the springs get weak so you get a horrible vibration. Ypu can get a volare kit with a solid flywheel and everything for bout a grand. 2006 models put out the most power stock. Head is a little different. But they all run good.
When is the vibration? Just like at the release of the clutch like chatter? Mine has a vibration running down th eroad and I have not been able to find it. Man I love mine 2004.5 straight pipe, cold air kit, and Hypertec programmer on Tow/haul. I hand calculate 20 regular driving and 14.5 puling my 36' trailer fully loaded and hauling ass (75-85) 2wd 6sp 4 door

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have an auto in my '05, and it's a piece of shit compared to an Allison. Everyone says a torque converter and valve body is the ticket to make it right. $$$.

Get the 6-speed. You'll understand why the autos are cheap.....

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I have an auto in my '05, and it's a piece of shit compared to an Allison. Everyone says a torque converter and valve body is the ticket to make it right. $$$.

Get the 6-speed. You'll understand why the autos are cheap.....
When I was shopping for a newer one last year to replace my old '98 3500 reg cab 4wd with 330k on it, all the auto's I test drove in my price range were nice looking, but the transmissions were already worse than the one I was driving and they are not cheap to fix. Test drive it, make sure it locks up real good.I ended up with a 2001 6-speed manual with 77k on it, and couldn't be happier. Average mpg is 19 per tank highway and around town and 15.2 fully loaded.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I stopped by the bank the other day,they have a 2008 Duramax with auto,full 4 door with leather and 80000 miles and 4 wheel drive.They want 35000 for it.Not for sure if it has any issues,they have repo'ed it...

·
Registered
86 Posts
KEEP UP ON TRANS SERVICES AND ADJUST BANDS. TRANS WILL LAST LONG TIME.CONVERTERS ARE WEAK AND VALVE BODY NEEDS UPGRADES DONE TO MAKE TRANS LIVE

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
I stopped by the bank the other day,they have a 2008 Duramax with auto,full 4 door with leather and 80000 miles and 4 wheel drive.They want 35000 for it.Not for sure if it has any issues,they have repo'ed it...
Holy shit 35k for a 3 yr old truck with 80,000 miles.They could keep that mofo

·
Registered
162 Posts
When is the vibration? Just like at the release of the clutch like chatter? Mine has a vibration running down th eroad and I have not been able to find it. Man I love mine 2004.5 straight pipe, cold air kit, and Hypertec programmer on Tow/haul. I hand calculate 20 regular driving and 14.5 puling my 36' trailer fully loaded and hauling ass (75-85) 2wd 6sp 4 door
Depends on how weak the springs in the flywheel are. Last 2 i saw were so bad they vibrated all the time and would actually shake the whole truck in neutral at an idle. If you can feel it.pretty strong in your shifter i would say thats your problem.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Depends on how weak the springs in the flywheel are. Last 2 i saw were so bad they vibrated all the time and would actually shake the whole truck in neutral at an idle. If you can feel it.pretty strong in your shifter i would say thats your problem.
I feel nothing in the clutch pedal and no chattering but the shifter vibrates pretty good driving down the road. How much can I expect to spend to get this fixed?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts