Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first experience.
All the ads I see will list a city near me, but lists a phone number from 2 states away.

When I ask if they are a broker, they never answer the question. So I assume that means yes.

I just want to deal directly with a shipping container depot and pick out one and pay cash and have them load it on my trailer right there.

Somehow I get the feeling that is not how that business works.

Any helpful tips ?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I could drive to the container yard at Marion Ak and buy a container and have it loaded on my trailer. 20 ft cost $750

·
A Senior Member
3,693 Posts
You didn't say where you were.

You better have a pretty stout trailer. (Weight of a 40'ct is approximate 10,000 lbs)

Here is a quote I got in Feb 2020

40' CT Used WWT Shipping Container (Inspected to be dry &
weather tight, stock shipping vents) (Various colors, maroon,
blue, or light gray, used will have some rust & repair patches)
$3,260.00 Delivered

40' CT Used Averdi OG Storage Container (Inspected to be
weather tight, doors serviced to work properly, additional
ventilation added to unit for storage use, shipping decals
removed) (Various colors, used will have some rust & repair
patches)
$3,860.00 Delivered

40' CT Reconditioned Averdi Storage Container (Fully inspected,
washed, prepped & painted) (choice of colors; gray, green,
brown, tan, or off white)
$4,730.00 Delivered

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
My son hauled a 20 ft container on a tandem axle car trailer behind a 3/4 ton truck. trailer has 4 tires on 6 lug rims. they dont weigh anywhere near 10 ,000 pounds. there made of thin cordon steel and designed to be lightweight.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen a local to me company on CL have you tried CL?
I am in central Ohio

I looked on cl last night but those ads are also vague so now I am going to google shipping container depots and see where the closest ones are. Doubt I will have luck.
I live in the Louisville , KY area

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
A 20 ft. container has a tare weight of about 4,914 lbs, . Thats what I googled. Heck my wife would haul 6500 pounds of feed on her 66 chevy 3/4 ton truck.
66 chev1.jpeg

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
You do know they sweat in the summer and winter everything inside will be covered in water droplets and will rust, just my experience. unless you ad some kind of ventilation.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do know they sweat in the summer and winter everything inside will be covered in water droplets and will rust, just my experience. unless you ad some kind of ventilation.
Yes, vents need to be added.
But for the storage capacity and the retarded prices of building supplies right now, the containers look to be a bargain at the moment

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Most construction storage rental companies sell containers as well. You might want to try one of those. They also have the equipment to deliver them. We use them on the job sites all of the time. Just check a few jobs near you and get the contact info off of the containers they are using for storage.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I am pretty sure he was making a joke / sarcastic play on numbers 3/4 ton vs 3 3/4 tons do to how over loaded the truck was.. Have a Snickers
Nope there isnt any weight limit on a 3/4 truck in Ark. We where in the feed buisness in 2000, She hauled more than thirty thousand dollars of of feed from Thayer Mo. in that truck. And every load was 6500 pounds. She still has the truck never hurt it a bit to haul a load. Thats much more weight than a 20 ft shipping container. So hauling a 20 ft container on a tandem axle car trailer is very doable. I own a gooseneck with a 30 ft deck. I bet I could haul a 40 footer on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts