Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sizeable Member
7,748 Posts
Don't worry, we know what he's talking about.

I do butts but that is because they are more common here than shoulder, especially in case lots. Never actually done a shoulder.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
It's the "butt" of the shoulder, LOL. I do butts myself ...Oh wait, that doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
both really about the same. but they need to be skinned if you smoke em.
shoulder seems more tender aswell.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Butts seem to be more common here as well,just wondering if the "butt " end of the shoulder,is any better than the shoulder itself?

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Butts seem to be more common here as well,just wondering if the "butt " end of the shoulder,is any better than the shoulder itself?
The butt seems to have less connective tissue.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,693 Posts
I prefer a boston butt over a whole shoulder simply because I want to eat the pulled pork 'that day'...........if I need more meat for a larger crowd I'll just do two butts.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Boston butt is a trimmed shoulder, I like both of them. There is more waste from a shoulder, so it all depends on cost per pound.

Some times butts are a better deal if the cost per pound is close, but if I can buy shoulder for $1.49 and butts are $3.49 its a no brainer.

If you have a knife you can cut a shoulder into a butt.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
So that we are all on the same page. I think a lot of terms are mingled but there is a difference between the "shoulder" and the "butt"......even though technically, it is the "butt" of the shoulder, as I stated earlier. Also, as I stated earlier, the true "shoulder" has more connective tissue.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Good point. To be more correct I meant to say you can cut a whole shoulder into a Boston butt. I forget you can buy what we call shoulder shanks. As pictured above.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,693 Posts
I don't care what part of the pig it comes off of so long as it looks like this when it's done!!

BBQ nachos FTW!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Doing one of these on Sat. I don't mind getting up early to start it. Any idea on what size I should get? There will be 6 to 8 people there

·
Former RJ instigator
42,693 Posts
Doing one of these on Sat. I don't mind getting up early to start it. Any idea on what size I should get? There will be 6 to 8 people there

A medium sized one ( 7-8 pounder ) will feed a group of 6-8 people easily and will only need about an hour per pound to cook.

Lots of smoke early on.....I like pecan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts