Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
T/S 368E
31,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm converting an older NHRA P/S combination into a dual fogger set up.
Now is the time to get a plan, so I'm asking for actual results please.
Opinions on spring loaded, burst style, plastic screws etc.
Real world results, good & bad would be appreciated.
I have room on the front, back & between carbs.
I was going to go with all 3, but I hear don't bother more & more lately??
The top will have a 5/8" wood spacer for extra volume, and heat isolation,
does that work as a release, and should I go with plastic screws, or standard??

Any thoughts, and experiences would be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Check the pressure on the springs before you need to use it. i've got a speedtech spring loaded panel between my cars and had a back fire on the dyno(just cranking it to start it, no nitrous) and found out the springs were way to stiff because it lifter the top of the intake instead of popping the burst panel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
had the tin panel burst panels before and that didnt work had a solenoid leak and blew top off , but have the ind. solutions spring loaded and had a couple small backfires starting motor and they worked good. not sure if anything will help on large nitrous back fire but the spring loaded seems to workk real good on milder booms

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Steve Johnson sells some, & I'm sure he has lots of real world experience. Wilson Manifolds also makes a spacer that doubles as a burst panel...we use this on our '69, before I found out that Steve sells a similar product. We needed ours, from more than one backfire, & it proved its worth!

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
The blow offs won't save the intake on a nos boomer.

The plastic screws are about the only thing that won't cause damage to Intake manifold.
But I have seen them brake on a small backfire just starting the engine.

If you do use plastic bolts on your plenum make a couple straps to hold the plenum top in place in cause it does backfire, it can only go so far that way. So the fuel lines don't get ripped off and cause a fire..,

·
Registered
6,837 Posts

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
plastic bolts on a sheet intake is about the only way, we use both spring loaded and plastic bolts. a small backfire cranking will lift the spring style but they can't move enough volume to deal with a no2 shot as k stated. the plastic bolts (nylon) will give when the pressure is too high.........been there.....

·
T/S 368E
31,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So my thinking that 3 spring loaded, and plastic screws on the top is about all you can do to have a shot at saving an intake/carbs??
I definitely was planning something to hold the top from launching??

I really didn't want to use the burst panels, unless everyone posted the spring style were a waste of time.

Thanks guys, as always.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I also used the Wilson burst panel spacer. I still taco'd the butterflies, blew the base gasket, and blew the main body gasket. I supopose it may have been worse without. Who knows. The burst panels are also expensive to replace.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
i would still use a single spring loaded for small burps......

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Instead of discs I use beer cans.7 years 1 back fire and no intake damage!! If it backfires when you're trying to start it,you have PROBLEMS...

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I'm with Bob. Damn replacement disks from Wilson Manifold are too expensive, so we had a machine shop client of mine punch out some metal disks that are slightly thicker, & won't blow out on a "start" backfire. Beer can metal is a workable idea too. This approach worked great for our purposes. In fact, the big BOOM BOOM backfire we had at Pinks Passtime in the '69 did NOT blow out a single disk, & no hurt parts...of course, the blades on the carb were wide open.

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
Guys,
This is the typical deal where you'll get 100 different answers based on 100 peoples different expieriences..

Like I tell guys, to have the pop offs is a great idea. Under terms of a smaller nitrous or start up back fire they will help. Regardless of method, if you have a really big nitrous backfire, it really doesn't matter what you have, shit is going to happen.. :( Just my two cents.. SJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts