Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IDK turbos, so if the question's stupid.......anyway, if both cars are turbo'd and one "bumps in" before the other does the first car lose boost while the second car "bumps in"?

·
Registered
373 Posts
No, but they run the risk of getting burned down. Most turbo guys wouldn't do that to another turbo car. Nitrous guy vs. turbo guy, whole different story!

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
IDK turbos, so if the question's stupid.......anyway, if both cars are turbo'd and one "bumps in" before the other does the first car lose boost while the second car "bumps in"?
How would you "lose" boost?...
Probably smoke the tranny fluid though and possibly cause it to spray out the vent though, during the run!... :smt102

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How would you "lose" boost?...
I don't know. That's WHY I asked. Not knowing turbos....I figure bumping in spooled up the turbo to build that boost......if the 2nd guy took his time would the 1st guy's turbo start spooling down, allowing boost to dissipate?

·
56,427 Posts
I don't know. That's WHY I asked. Not knowing turbos....I figure bumping in spooled up the turbo to build that boost......if the 2nd guy took his time would the 1st guy's turbo start spooling down, allowing boost to dissipate?
No............... shouldn't!...
Unless he backs out of it!... :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Only if he let off...if he stays in it on the brake/limiter for a long time he risks burning down from overheating the trans.

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Bumping in has nothing to do with helping build boost or losing boost for that matter. The turbo car is on trans brake, builds boost then using a bump box it rapidly releases the trans brake and back on allowing car to move forward into the stage beams. On a flag type start bumping in is not necessary but they think it is.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Bumping in has nothing to do with helping build boost or losing boost for that matter. The turbo car is on trans brake, builds boost then using a bump box it rapidly releases the trans brake and back on allowing car to move forward into the stage beams. On a flag type start bumping in is not necessary but they think it is.
Bingo

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
No, but they run the risk of getting burned down. Most turbo guys wouldn't do that to another turbo car. Nitrous guy vs. turbo guy, whole different story!
10-4 it's ok to try and burn down a turbo car but when a turbo car flickers the bottom bulb he's a motherfucker :p

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Bumping in is only necessary on a tree activated start.

·
56,427 Posts
10-4 it's ok to try and burn down a turbo car but when a turbo car flickers the bottom bulb he's a motherfucker :p
That's why you won't see turbo cars in "Super" classes in NHRA!...
You're fine IF you can stage first and get to the two step!...
But when your competitor knows you need that..................they'll generally (rightly so I might add) get in and stage first!...
Not getting to the two step will fuck up both 60' and reaction time!... :(

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
That's why you won't see turbo cars in "Super" classes in NHRA!...
You're fine IF you can stage first and get to the two step!...
But when your competitor knows you need that..................they'll generally (rightly so I might add) get in and stage first!...
Not getting to the two step will fuck up both 60' and reaction time!... :(
Why cant you stage second with a turbo car? Both pre stage start building boost. If he goes in first you have 7-10 seconds to stage. Plenty of time to build boost and bump in.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Why cant you stage second with a turbo car? Both pre stage start building boost. If he goes in first you have 7-10 seconds to stage. Plenty of time to build boost and bump in.
most the time it's 7 sec I always try and go in second it only takes me 1 sec to be at my launch boost then bump in but you will alway have that one guy that wants to PHUCK with you at the line make you go in first and take his phucking time lol

·
FHRITP
50,656 Posts
I always wondered why "they" bump in on a flashlight?

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
most the time it's 7 sec I always try and go in second it only takes me 1 sec to be at my launch boost then bump in but you will alway have that one guy that wants to PHUCK with you at the line make you go in first and take his phucking time lol
I think there are A LOT of guys/girls on here that dont know anything about racing. They think what they see on SO is the only way to do it. I bracket race and Super comp race. I would have no problem running a turbo car in either one. As im sure you know PRO63VETTE it can be done and not as difficult as people think it is to do. Yes it has its unique challenges but with a properly set up car and knowing what your doing it can be3 done.

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts

·
56,427 Posts
Been a LONG time since I ran a turbo combo!...
But when I did they didn't seem to spool as quickly as they do today!...

Full tree (bracket racing) wasn't a problem!... :cool:

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Been a LONG time since I ran a turbo combo!...
But when I did they didn't seem to spool as quickly as they do today!...

Full tree (bracket racing) wasn't a problem!... :cool:
The creation of the bump box has helped that allot. to build boost with just your brakes and staging was a bit harder. Now you can make the car move very little to stage shallow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts