Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
person A takes his vehicle to person B for a dyno tune to switch from a 87 to 93 octane program.

person B puts said vehicle on the rollers, and gets ready to make first dyno pull, when vehicle GRENADES the driveshaft... engine rpm was at 5900 rpm, with a roller speed of 127 mph.

driveshaft EXPLODES towards the middle like someone filled it with dynamite... slip yoke is still intact and in tailshaft with u joint, driveshaft yokes are still intact.

slip yoke is still intact and in the tail of the transfer case, with ujoint and caps intact with clips. 1 of the 2 caps in the drive shaft at the slip yoke are missing,and both clips are gone...

rear joint both caps and clips are gone from the driveshaft yoke, and laying on the ground, while the u joint and caps are still held in the rear end pinion yoke with the straps...

drive shaft came apart pretty close to the middle like it exploded from the inside out.. also looks twisted apart as well..

after investigating it further.

where the u joint clips go into the reciever groove on the yoke itself it is filled with corrosion, leaving no place for the clip to register into.

customer A needs a transfer case extension housing that is broken, gasket, and new drive shaft and joints...

customer then asks if it is possible to use dyno facility's lift for FREE to fix their own truck. at which time tuner (B) offers to get them the parts at his cost, with no markup but can not let the customer use the lift for free, they will fix the damage for set price(labor) plus parts.

customer has a tow truck come pick up vehicle and tow it home, then proceded to pay LIST price from the local dealer for the parts that are damaged, along with calling local 4wd shop for a d-shaft with new joints and slip yoke.

Customer text messages, and email's tuner and informs him that he wants the tuner to pay him for half the total of the labor to put the parts in the vehicle (customer did the work at home themselves) along with the LIST price they paid for the parts at the local dealer, and the full price of a driveshaft from the driveshaft shop.

so

parts came to 535 for the adapter, seal, and driveshaft...

along with the labor he was quoted @ 250.

with the dyno time which he wants 66% of the price he was charged for.

he is asking for half reimbursed.

the customer is threating to make the situation public, along with litigation if the tuner does not reimburse him in full.

mind you the customer was never charged for any tuning, but was charged 100 for dyno time by the shop owner.

is the tuner required to reimburse the customer for any damages that occured on the dyno?

based on internet knowledge, the customer feels that the vehicle was pushed past its limitations, without ever discussing max rpm and mph he felt comfortable with. tuner has history of over 15 vehicles of the same combination in the last 5 years with not ONE failure, or issue...

customer feels that they need to split the total price of everything based on negligence, and deception on the tuners part.

customer asks for reimbursement, after stating that he has seen instance of this with other peoples vehicles on an internet forum, and understands he is not liable and states the joints were replaced so who knows if it was correct, and he plans to fix it, bring it back, and try it again.... via text message.

customer has posted on 2 different websites, with conflicting information on power expectations, one before the failure, where he is hoping to make a good amount of power for his mods, then one where he is complaining after the failure that he wasnt looking for peak numbers, and isnt sure why his truck was taken to the range it was.

i am not the tuner, i am not the customer... just seeing what the bullets opinion is on the situation...

my personal feeling, is parts break. the only thing i feel at most the customer is entitled to is the dyno time fee he was charged by the shop, not the tuner for the dyno time. nothing more.

parts break, we know this every time we put our stuff on the track, dyno, or where ever...

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry for the long post, just wanted all the info out there...

·
Registered
752 Posts
customer puts vehicle on dyno at own risk, customer pays tuner for dyno time and customer pays for there own shit, tuner is not liable for anything, also if the driveshaft did any damage to the dyno, customer should have to pay for it, or at least the tuners insurance deductible

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
driveshaft did damage a vehicle in the shop...

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
I would say he is NOT entitled to anything other than another dyno pull. I, like you, think parts break, and would think their would be a waiver stating said shop is not responsible?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I'd tell that customer to pound sand.

If I was the "tuner/dyno" guy... I would tell him that there was nothing wrong with the tune and the dyno worked perfectly. so, he got what he paid for.

The driveshaft was his responsibility and he's lucky nothing happened to the dyno or he'd be getting charged for the repairs due to his neglect of maintaining the equipment on his vehicle.

I would also tell him how lucky he was that nobody got hurt.

I would then file a police report telling the cops about what happened and that he was threatening me and see if I could get a restraining order. This way, if the guy tried any legal bullshit...I'd be one step ahead.

But, I do sound and lighting for concerts... what do I know?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damages to the dyno and shop, have been neglected to mention, because its outside the discussion point right now...

there was damage to the walls, floor,garage door frame, hvac ducting, and a vehicle in the shop.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Tuner/dyno guy should tell the customer to bring on the litigation. The result will be a countersuit for the damage to the dyno, facility and other vehicle. I bet that amount would be more than the pissant customer's repair bill was.

·
The Purple Prostitute
2,529 Posts
agreed...

Bring to litigation and he better bring pictures of damage to shop, and customer cars etc... PICS PICS PICS... and this is not a PICS or BAN situtation.. more like PICS or FALE

·
Medium Pimpin'
2,800 Posts
Every time I am on the dyno (other than the one owned by a good friend) I have had to sign a waiver stating they are not responsible for any damage incured to my car during said tuning. It's the car owners responsibility to make sure the vehicle is in propper working order. Shit happens. The customer should not get a dime and the tuner is responsible for the damages incured in the shop. We always make sure the dyno are is clear just incase something lets loose on the rollers. We have had a few catasrophic failures on the dyno with the only damage being the car and the floor.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
agreed...

Bring to litigation and he better bring pictures of damage to shop, and customer cars etc... PICS PICS PICS... and this is not a PICS or BAN situtation.. more like PICS or FALE

while i do have pictures, im am not at liberty to post or forward them.

·
Registered
56,906 Posts
I'm thinking the customer is like 50 cards short of a deck. W T F is this idiot thinking??? Pay your bill and then G T F O!!! Some people just have 0 brains!!

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Tuner is tuning the engine, customers tailshaft breaks, how the fuck is that any responsibility of the tuner? Customer is a dick! pure & simple. & as you say can't get his story straight. What a fucking dick

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,546 Posts
The shop should only be responsible for negligence they cause. For example, not properly securing the car on the dyno. In this scenario the customers car failed so the customer is repsonsible for the repairs.

BTW - If the car is "past it's limits" at 127 mph then it shouldn't be on a dyno to begin with.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Tuner/dyno guy should tell the customer to bring on the litigation. The result will be a countersuit for the damage to the dyno, facility and other vehicle. I bet that amount would be more than the pissant customer's repair bill was.

x2 you put your car on the dyno at your own risk

·
Flat Earther
3,964 Posts
The customer is an asshat. He has something "worth" bothering to put on a dyno and wants to use the rack for free. Maybe he can go cry to Obama for some more welfare.

I'd feel bad my junk ruined someone elses stuff. Shit happens and stuff breaks, especially when you're looking for more performance. There are no guarantees (and no victims, only volunteers! lol)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts