Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new range hood. Here is the problem the wire coming from the wall is not long enough to insert into the back of the hood. Can I add a small section of romex to extend the wiring? Can I assume white to white black to black and bare copper to bare copper with wire nuts and electrical tape? If not what do I do? House elecrical is not my thing but think I should be able to extend it by a foot or so. Thoughts comment suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
like the post above says, "connection must be in the box".

The rest is that simple. Color to color, held together with wire nuts and wrap with tape as a precaution.

·
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
3,446 Posts
As some of the others said yes but connection should be in a enclosure and it needs to accessible... I always left a little extra cable in the wall just for cases like this.....

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
The splice must be in a junction box, accessible and not "floating" in the wall, you can't just put a junction box on it and shove it back in the wall. Go into the cabinet above the hood fan and cut in an "old work box", put the existing wire and the new wire in there, splice them together and install a blank plate. You will then have all the wire you need to make your connection into the new hood fan.

. . . this new hood fan is just a hood fan and not a microwave hood, right ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts