Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .030" over, 3.0" stroke chevy with 6" rods. It's 11.5 C/R , zero decked and .039" quench. Solid roller cam - 238/246 @ .050" 108 LSA installed straight up, .566" lift. Melling high volume standard pressure oil pump. Profiler 195 cc heads, Vic Jr 2975 intake with 1" taper 4 hole spacer, 1 3/4 headers. On E85 with a 750 cfm carb.

Here to see what the unbiased experts say on what this combo should make.

Richard Holdeners .030" over made 357HP @ 6700 RPM, 333TQ @4400 RPM with the duntov cam and winters dual plane for reference.

Keep in mine it's a STREET/strip build, not all out race.

Curious what pipemax says if anyone would like to take the time to enter it in.

Also what could be done differently to make more power, other than more stroke.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
I would of gone std volume high pressure oil pump rest of it looks pretty good maybe a little more cam but probably about right for street . For improvements is the manifold ported to match heads , good oil pan with windage control , what gears and what rpm does power fall off now ?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would of gone std volume high pressure oil pump rest of it looks pretty good maybe a little more cam but probably about right for street . For improvements is the manifold ported to match heads , good oil pan with windage control , what gears and what rpm does power fall off now ?
I agree I probably should have done standard melling pump. It has gasket matched intake to head, and a 7 qt pan with windage tray.
If I were doing it over now I would give it a little more cam and maybe a holley 300-110 manifold.

Peak is 6700-7000 RPM, has 4.11 gears and a TKX trans with 2.87 first/.81 OD.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a 331 with 11.1 comp, 240/240/.480/108 solid flat tappet lifter, 462 double hump heads, Performer RPM intake, 750 Holley. It made 447 HP 400TQ so I would think you will make more than that, my engine peaked @ 6600 RPM.
I wonder how a RPM Air-Gap would work with my setup. I almost bought one to swap it out.

How much does a waterpump and alternator(no load), driven by a 6 rib serpintine belt cost in HP?

· Registered
1,190 Posts
I wonder how a RPM Air-Gap would work with my setup. I almost bought one to swap it out.

How much does a waterpump and alternator(no load), driven by a 6 rib serpintine belt cost in HP?
In my opinion theres no better place than a drag strip to answer both your questions........................

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Wheel Gas Fender Motor vehicle
Human body Slope Rectangle Plot Line

Tire Wheel Gas Fender Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Rectangle Symmetry Parallel Pattern Font
Rectangle Symmetry Parallel Pattern Font

The two different runs are 125 and 185 degree water.

I hoped and thought it would make more HP, seems it makes about what it should. I kept thinking something must be wrong with it dragging it down.
Its my first engine I built, turned out pretty good considering I was 20 when I started putting it together and had very little experience and knowledge.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You do realize thats 10 sec HP if you utilize it correctly.
I think the Camaro will be a little heavy for that. The 406 I'm putting together next should get me there I would think.

Good power on that little engine. Nice!
Thanks, hoped for a little more but it's just a cam and intake swap away if I decide.

What did I win for guessing the HP?
Want some Erson sbc valve covers? They are showing some age. Lol

· Registered
6,670 Posts
Congrads, looks like you made some good Hp out of that little engine. So you made ALMOST 90Hp more than Holdner with cam, heads and intake. I'm a bit confused (don't know a lot about SBc) on why a 195 head and smallish cam on that little engine?

Look at Holdner's 357Hp and basically the same shortblock. So looks nice a nice 90Hp bump. Your over 1.4Hp/inch. Not too shabby. JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU WERE EXPECTING AND WHY?????

· Registered
1,190 Posts
I think the Camaro will be a little heavy for that. The 406 I'm putting together next should get me there I would think.

Thanks, hoped for a little more but it's just a cam and intake swap away if I decide.

Want some Erson sbc valve covers? They are showing some age. Lol
The last 302 I did made 468 HP ran 10.30s in D/S trim, now its comes down to how good you are after the crank flange..............

1 - 20 of 28 Posts